Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite Avation Books

Options
  • 20-03-2007 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Mine are usually military books, but here goes.

First Light
    The Big Show
    ChickenHawk
    Thud Ridge

Obviously biggles when I was a kid...:cool: I'm sure I'll remember a few more.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Fate is the Hunter, Ernest K Gann. Wonderful, wonderful book - especially if you're at all into the history of commercial aviation.

Langewiesche's Stick and Rudder is a must for anyone interested in flying technique, if a bit dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Got a good one a few months back to read over 6 flights back and forwards to heathrow, cant remember the feckin name nor can i find it but it was about the lfie of a stewardess and the madness that goes on inflight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Air Babylon perchance?

My favorites are two books of photos of RAF aircraft , one of them from the start of the RFC to WW2 and the other the war years. I still need to get the post-WW2 book to complete the collection but I can't find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

If you want to read
    Alaska Sky Follies is good read about Alaska bush pilots and what they got/get up to and how sometimes they connected with mountains.

Found interesting book on NZ heli pilots involved in the deer hunting/capturing business during the sixties, seventies and eighties. Can't think of the name of it at the moment.
    The things they did with Hughes 500s is unbelievable, never mind what they did with older Hilliers and Bells.
    Never knew you could fly helicopters (in mountain terrain) and shoot at same time but they managed it.

Also for military history flying "They Landed by moonlight" is about the guys that flew secret agents into France during WWII.

Advertisement