Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"New" Sky Movies - any ideas?

Options
  • 20-03-2007 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭

Over the weekend I've seen ads across the Sky channels promoting some major change to Sky Movies "soon".

Anyone know what's appening, and if it's gonna be any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I work nights so was up last night at about 3- 4 am , I have sky HD , the system went off and upgraded , now HD channels is on the main menu instead of the red button at the bottom and some new movie channels have been added with a message on the EPG saying programs start on the 31st.

There is a new Prem plus HD channel , dont know what that is yet , maybe this has something to do with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well I can answer the second part probably... Prem Plus is their pay-per-view football channel, so this is seemingly a HD variant of it (like Sky Sports 1/2 HD).

More movie channels sounds interesting if they're planning to move to a more "on demand" service (possibly linked with the upcoming Anytime service).

In either case, expect yet another round of subscription increases I'd imagine! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

There will be no new movies channels. Instead Sky is following a trend in Europe of changing their movie channels from the current several general movies channels (ie Sky Movies 1 to 10) to different themed channels (ie Sky Movies Comedy). However not all the channels will be 24 hours. :mad: (will they bring down the price>
    ?) Heres the full list.

EPG Channel name and transmission hours
    301 Sky Movies Premiere 16.00 to 02.00 (10 hours)
    302 Sky Movies Premiere+1 17.00 to 03.00 (10 hours)
    303 Sky Movies Comedy (24 hours)
    304 Sky Movies Action/Thriller (24 hours)
    305 Sky Movies Family (24 hours)
    306 Sky Movies Drama (24 hours)
    307 Sky Movies Sci-Fi/Horror 16.00 to 04.00 (12 hours)
    308 Sky Movies Classics (24 hours)
    309 Sky Movies Modern Greats (24 hours)
    310 Sky Movies Indie 16.00 to 04.00 (12 hours)
    311 Sky Movies HD1 11.00 to 03.00 (16 hours)
    312 Sky Movies HD2 11.00 to 03.00 (16 hours)

Riiight so in effect we're getting less than we are now (bad as a lot of it is). I doubt "price reduction" is even Sky Management's vocabulary :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But with the PVR boxes (Sky+ and SkyHD) they may start downloading "instant" pay per view / VOD shortly...

• Advertisement

watty wrote:
    But with the PVR boxes (Sky+ and SkyHD) they may start downloading "instant" pay per view / VOD shortly...
    Only if you have a newer Sky+ box (80GB Hard disk or above). The older ones (which of course I have :() won't support it.

Could you just change the hard disk though?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Possibly. You *CAN* upgrade the disk, but that might no add the service. Worth doing anyway if you need the extra space.

Under 100 Euro I imagine.

Advertisement