Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Squad - Six Nations 2007

Options
  • 20-03-2007 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

A fair bit has been said about the lack of depth in the Irish squad, this was pretty evident in the match against France when were missing O’Driscoll and Stringer, it was also evident in the Autumn internationals of 2005.

One thing I noticed about this six nations was where there was competition for a few of the positions:

Easterby V Best
    Dempsey V Murphy
    Hickie V Trimble/Murphy

In each of these positions either EOS made the right decision or Easterby, Dempsey and Hickie just played out of their skins because of competition for places. As the tournament went they were probably three of Ireland best and most consistent players and debating whether they should be on the team or not should not even be entertained.

One other position seemed up for competition too:

Best V Flannery

While there is no doubt that Best has made a huge improvement to the scrum, he has blown hot and cold with his line out throwing, in particular the first half against France and the first half against Italy. Flannery is head and shoulders above Best in the line out throwing (Flannery is probably way above most hookers in the world in the line out) and he is on par with Best around the pitch.

The lack of competition in other positions is worrying, was Mick O’Driscoll really the best replacement in the second row, what about Leo Cullen?

We used to think that we had a world class replacement in the centre with Horgan, but while he remains one of the best wingers in the world he certainly doesn’t cut it in the centre.

With the half-backs we have a worthy replacement for Stringer with Boss, but we are screwed if O’Gara is injured.

The same goes for the props. Hayes is playing the best rugby of his career and Horgan (last Saturday aside) has been playing well also, but we clearly don’t have a replacement for them.

Only part of the team that seems reasonably healthy if replacements are needed is the back-row.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Linford wrote:

Easterby V Best
    Dempsey V Murphy
    Hickie V Trimble/Murphy

In each of these positions either EOS made the right decision

Best V Flannery

The lack of competition in other positions is worrying, was Mick O’Driscoll really the best replacement in the second row, what about Leo Cullen?

We used to think that we had a world class replacement in the centre with Horgan, but while he remains one of the best wingers in the world he certainly doesn’t cut it in the centre.

With the half-backs we have a worthy replacement for Stringer with Boss, but we are screwed if O’Gara is injured.

The same goes for the props. Hayes is playing the best rugby of his career and Horgan (last Saturday aside) has been playing well also, but we clearly don’t have a replacement for them.

Only part of the team that seems reasonably healthy if replacements are needed is the back-row.

Agree 100% on the 1st three.
    I am Horgos No 1 fan as dispplayed by my childish Horgo the Hulk Vesrus the Best the Beast thread :D But Horgo does not cut it in the centre.
    I hope Leinster do not play him here v Wasps. I am actually quite hopeful they will not as Leinster are better suited to cover BOD than Ireland ironically.

Yup ROG is a problem and PW needs games in Argiland ROG deserves to put his feet up for the summer. ( and pracitce his goal kicking , he had too many bad games from the boot this 6N )
    Is it only me or did ROG play 2 bad games from place kicking and then 2 bad out of hand. ( 1 in croker and 1 Scot?)

MOD was clearly out of depth, one thinks that a captain of an English Premieship team that stuffed the Munster team of which MOD was a spectator should be in there as cover, I wonder where we would get someone of that calibre, .;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Or even Trevor Hogan starting - he looked a hell of a lot better when he came on than MOD had.

Advertisement