Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking in Ireland (gear question)

Options
  • 19-03-2007 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hey

I have done some hiking abroad, mainly the US and East Europe where conditions are usually mild. Ireland is a different story and was wondering could anyone recommend the appropriate attire?

I was thinking I need waterproof boots and pants with a light jacket plus under fleece?

Also, being a bit of a novice, I am uncertain as to the best brands. I dont mind paying for quality but am not going to spend 100 extra just for a label.

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

There are three dangerous things in hiking
    1. Navigation
    2. Gear (clothes and food)
    3. Locations (certain routes are dodgy etc)

You usually need to make mistakes (be unlucky?) with two of these to get into trouble. This is a long way of saying take all advice with a pinch of salt and do easy routes in good weather till you get used to Ireland.
    Hiking I bring
    a change of clothes in the car.
    Hiking boots
    two pairs of socks (one in the bag for if the first one gets wet).
    Gators
    pants (not jeans)
    wicking t-shirt
    fleece
    jacket
    hat
    walking poles
    map
    gps
    compass
    loads of food
    mobile phone
    bivvy bag

Most of these you can get in Millets. Gps is overkill if you are just out for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Gloves are important for comfort too, I prefer absorbant ones mostly for a runny nose than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Also don't forget ...

Whistle
    Waterproof trousers

A little headtorch is always a good idea too, as is a good drinking vessel. The camelbacks (if that what they're called) are good apparently, personally I prefer a stout water bottle like a Nalgene. Although the ballygowen sports bottles are cheaper :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Hey,

I can tell you for a fact that it's a lot easier to find someone who's after getting stuck out after dark if they've had the good sense to pack a torch.

Don't leave home without one if you're going hillwalking - At any time of the year. Nobody ever plans on getting stuck on a hillside after dark, but it happens year round, all around the country. I'd also add a Bivi-bag, a spare sandwich, chocolate/nuts and some extra water too. Keep the grub and water in the bottom of your bag until you're back to civilisation - Just in case.

That's not scare mongering - It's all common sense. It's been a quiet winter for our MRT's so far - Let's keep it that way and we'll all have more fun in the long run ;)

Cheerio,

Gil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭oconn

anyone ever buy the gear in ALdi ...its out agian on thursday...Im just a beginner so may stock up gets ok reviews
    http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/3801/v/1/sp/

I'm going after one of the aldi softshells anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

Hi all,

I was looking at getting a pair of the Aldi Walking Boots. Has anyone bought a pair of these before? If so are they any good? I would intend using them for small/medium length walks/hikes....

Advertisement