Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Ever Set Themselves Stupid Challenges When Writing a Song?

Options
  • 19-03-2007 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

well, anyone ever set out to do anything especially odd? My current project, arising out of the St. Patrick's Day festivities, is to add a section to my current jazz fusion piece in pi/4. Yup, 3 and one seventh beats per bar, should be fun. Anyone else do anything like that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Many moons ago my guitar player and I, struggling to come up with an intro for a tune, wrote out all the notes A Bb C C# D Eb E F F# G Ab on pieces of paper, randomly picking them out to some up with a 128 note sequence which we had to learn...

... it was **** :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Heh, I'm aiming for this to be a stroke of creative and musical genius though. ;)

Here's the basic situation as I understand it.

Girls like to dance and, therefore, despise stupid time signatures.

Guys wants girls.

You might want to re-evaluate your pie unless it's pastry filled with fruit or meat :p

Heh, a nice summation of music there Doc, and definitely one with a lot of merit to it, but I think there's got to be more, got to be able to push myself a little bit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Hehe, well said, Doc :D

Reminds me of Bill Bailey, "You should never play Take Five at a funeral, as the unusual time signature takes away from the solemnety of the event." :D

As for Pi/4, you sir, are a genius! How's it coming along so far?

• Advertisement

Heh, a mate's actually done the first installment, it's weird. Requires honours leaving cert maths to work out how the hell it should go. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I can see it now... Two music stands, manuscript on one, Log tables on the other :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I can imagine the likes of powertab being useful for this - write something in 4/4 (maybe using another part of the song), then takeaway notes and shorten others till it fits. It's gonna sound weird anyway. I can't imagine a human being able to process a piece of music in that time signature without hearing it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Theres a rather fantastic band on the Dublin music scene at the moment that have a musical part of there song that says the chorus in morse code... if ya get me, the rhythm of the instruments is the words for the chorus in morse code. I think it's rather clever, something I had thought of moons ago but realised I'm woeful with anything other then standard time signatures. Sounds differant and cool though when they do it.

Rush did the morse code thing many, many years ago on their tune YYZ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Did they? Hah hah... then a certain upcoming gigsmart gig will be a lil less special knowing that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

When I first started songwriting I set myself all sorts of challenges. Nothing crazy, just excercises in learning like making myself write a song about a colour, about inanimate objects, without rhyming, only in flattened notes etc. I've also done a lot of songs that have changed meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Heh, a mate's actually done the first installment, it's weird. Requires honours leaving cert maths to work out how the hell it should go. :p

And I still haven't quite figured out the tempo equivalence...

Advertisement