Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVG no longer free - so what now?

Options
  • 17-03-2007 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭

Like most of you (according to the poll) my AVG free program has come to an end.

They're charging €74.90 for a two year subscription to their new product (the new free product isn't worth having). The price is a bit saucy for a downloaded purchase in my view:

(i) It's a US product bought online, so one could pay in $.

(ii) The above price includes VAT. Who are they paying the VAT to I'd like to know?

(iii) The above price is a lot more than the US price.

All in all, it leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

So, what are the options?

What are the rest of you doing?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

AVG 7.1 is no longer supported, you have to manually update to 7.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've been using Avast for ages now and find it very good. See Aidan Walshs' sig ^ for a link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Dinarius

AVG 7.1 is no longer supported, you have to manually update to 7.5.

I know it's no longer supported, but the update is to a new free version that is only anti-virus and anti-trojan, not anti-spam.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

I have used AVG for the past 5 years and been a big fan, but i uninstalled it in Dec 2006, just before the Jan deadline!

Since then ive used Avast 4.7, and ive found it to be even better that AVG, plus the cute voice that tells you the anti virus has been updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dinarius wrote:
    I know it's no longer supported, but the update is to a new free version that is only anti-virus and anti-trojan, not anti-spam.

D.

You can download AVG Anti-Spyware separately here. A few of the features are turned off after a certain amount of days but it still functions pretty well (you have to update manually and resident shield is turned off).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Dinarius

r3nu4l wrote:
    I've been using Avast for ages now and find it very good. See Aidan Walshs' sig ^ for a link :)

But, does it delete spam? I don't think so. That's AVG killer app. All spam ends up in another folder. You don't have to think about it.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

This issue has come up before and as I pointed out elsewhere AVG 7.5 is still free. I use it all the time.

The thing is that Grisoft's update notice last year was misread by many people and their free site is harder to find as I believe that the link to it on the Grisoft has been removed or shifted.

Free site is - http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

The free Antispyware is very cut down compared to the free AVG so I am not sure about the benefits of it, I downloaded yesterday and testing it out, you get the full verision for 30 days and after that it goes to the free version.

Advertisement