Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Options in Archaeology?

Options
  • 17-03-2007 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hey all, so my plan is to study archaeology in UCC next year but from what Ive been hearing lately, jobs for archaeology graduates are hard to come by. Is this true? Also I hope to travel with archaeoloy and am wondering how this works, does your college help you find international digs or how does the process work? Im just worried that after studying it there will be no job or a crap job at the end of it. Any/all thoughts are welcome,

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

There are lot's of jobs at the moment. If the jobs decrease it would be better to have the BA at least for future work. You will love it!!

Colleges do advertise jobs on a regular basis; not all of them are paying jobs though!! Most of the big archaeological companies tip off Departments about contracts coming up to allow students to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Cool thanks. Just out of curiosity, if there is anyone out there working in archaeology full time could I ask without being too blunt, is the pay as poor as everyone makes out?

It depends who you work for. A GO (general operative) gets just above minimum on most sites. Site Assistants are on a higher rate as are Supervisors. As you gain experience you will be promoted. If you prove to the site director you know a fulacht fia from a barrow you can usually get upgraded quickly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Do you need any experience to work on a site as a general operative? What are the typical requirements?

Do you need any experience to work on a site as a general operative? What are the typical requirements?

No, you don't... a strong back and the willingness to get mucky and wet are all that are required!! :)

A good eye for detail is a help too. If you show willing and are observant you will go far!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Wow, who told you there were no jobs? I won't pretend to know too much about the working world of Archaeology (i'm still in college), but I think
    increases in the general infrastructure means Archaeology is a booming industry (excavation before road works begin). Plus, I think there's a general increase in the popularity, and hence the awareness, of Archaeology (Time Team.....AWAY!!!!!).

You're worried about getting a dull job, or none at all through the BA. I don't know much about the courses in UCC, but I'm assuming you can do it through arts, like UCD. Doing a joint Major coluld be something to look into.

One main concern people have against doing this, is the fear of not receiving a 'full' education on each subject. This couldn't be further from the truth. In theory, you could get a degree in Archaeology and something like Economics, increasing your job prospects by 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Thanks for that Boneless. What sort of hours are you looking at during one week? What's the atmosphere typically like when you're working on a site?

Standard 39 hour week is the norm. It depends who you are working with as to the craic on a site. I was on a site during the summer where there were only eleven of us and the fun was abounding!! We had great laugh. The director left us alone and as long as the work got done we had free rein.... however, if you get a bad director you will have an unhappy site. It's just like any other job.

A good gaffer will leave people who are having a laugh together. Usually they work better in these circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Ok, here's the deal. I'm only in 5th year but I'm almost 100% sure I want to do Arts in 3rd level.

The only thing that's bothering me though is that I'm not sure whether I want to go for History or Archaeology. Could anyone give me a brief analysis of both and of what would be required?
    I'm leaning more towards archaeology because I feel i would really like going out on digs but as a subject I prefer studying modern history. On top of all this my Guidance Counsellor is terrible and gives me no help.

Sorry if i've gone a bit off topic but I didn't see the point in posting a new thread. ;)

Any particular college you're thinking of?

Again, an option could be to do a joint major.

• Advertisement

I did history and archaeology for the BA. Also, there is a new area being taught in UCD now; Contemporary and Historical Archaeology... the field is wide open!!

Yeah, I'm enjoying the Contemporary side.... Tadhg O'Keefe has promised a lecture or two on the Travelling community. Can't wait! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Any particular college you're thinking of?

Again, an option could be to do a joint major.

I kind of want to go to a Dublin College and was lookign at some of the courses in TCD and UCD. You see if I don't particularly want to do BOTH subjects because I want to do other subjects like Philosophy and English etc.

I'll try and ask around and find out as much as I can about History and Archaeology.:)

Well, unfortunately combining English and Archaeology is impossible in UCD, the timetables are conflicting.

I think Philosophy is alright. Your first week or two is all about the choosing, so leave the final decision making til then. Before hand, get a general list of interesting subjects and when the time comes, attend as many lectures in those thirst couple of weeks as possible. Get the flavour for the subjects.

I would definately recommend Archaeology in UCD. I find the department to be very friendly and approachable. The lecturers are cool (mostly) and assignments are easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

What kind of assignments are we talking about here?

Essays. Or, if you go on a field trip, a workbook. In first year, you're looking at 1,000 words a pop for each essay, maybe 2,500 for a workbook (but thats easier than it sounds).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

Bloody essays, the bane of my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

A job in Archaeology....Just dig aroubd the right places and you might find something good......

Boom Boom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

boneless wrote:
    I did history and archaeology for the BA.

In Trinity? That's my number 1. What's it like???

In Trinity? That's my number 1. What's it like???

No, UCD. Trinity don't do archaeology which is Irish based. They do Egyptian and Classical archaeology only, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Mackleton wrote:
    Hey all, so my plan is to study archaeology in UCC next year but from what Ive been hearing lately, jobs for archaeology graduates are hard to come by. Is this true? Also I hope to travel with archaeoloy and am wondering how this works, does your college help you find international digs or how does the process work? Im just worried that after studying it there will be no job or a crap job at the end of it. Any/all thoughts are welcome,

Thanks in advance

I second Funky Penguin, I don't know who told you there are no jobs in archaeology! All the major companies are crying out for staff. There are nowhere near enough Irish people to fulfill the demand. On the site I work on there are Italian, Polish, British, Swedish, Hungarian, Bulgarian, Spanish and French people. Most have archaeology qualifications but some don't and are just working as G.O's. If you want a job and you are just starting college or are an interested amateur I would recommend emailing a cv off to all the main companies (Look in Archaeology Ireland for the names and address) Say your experience if any, what your interest is and where you are available to work. Detail everything that's a benefit, own car, full driving license, first aid cert. If you are good at illustration or photography put this down also. It can be hard to break into the job if you're not in college. The NRA is increasingly insisting on only college graduates being allowed to work on road schemes. They're really covering themselves becuase of the M3. Every company has a different scheme to promote staff. Uusually a year at GO. level to become an assistant. Some companies will not allow you to become supervisor unless you have a degree, others take experience in the job into account. It varies widely! The pay is ok but you won't be splashing out on a Lexus with it anytime soon. It's a tough job , especially in Winter with time pressure to finish a job but the craic on site is usually great. Everyone is there to do a job professionally and on time and to have fun doing so. It takes a certain type of person and not everyone can deal with the physical work and muck, constant rain, portaloos and wet socks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

and midgies.

I have spent hours troweling and thinking of how to construct a biological weapon that targets only midgies.

My test detonations on site didnt go down too well ... :p

Advertisement