Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a gateway solo 2550

Options
  • 16-03-2007 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Right here goes.

I've been given a Gateway Solo 2550 laptop - 32M RAM, 4G HD, CD-ROM. I've purchased additional RAM (2 x 128M) and I now want to upgrade the hard disk to something larger. My questions are these,

1. The current HD is a 2.5 inch EIDE drive. I've checked out Komplett for this type of drive but am confused as to teh different formats. The 2.5 inch IDE drives there also mention ATA, are these formats compatible.

2. The gateway site mentions that the largest HD capacity permissible with this system is 32Gb. Would a larger drive work, will it only use the first 32 Gb (anything after this is ignored) or would it fail to work.

Kudos to whoever can help me out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What OS is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Stick a 20gb HDD in it as a laptop that old will not hold anything bigger than 32GB due to hardware limitations.A larger hard drive would probably be recognised but as you say only allow 32gb to be formatted ands usable. For a 20GB hard drive goto....www.ebay.ie as very few places have 20GB 2.5" drives now.
    The laptop isn't really upto much man, is it worth throwing money at the machine? A new base Dell Inspiron €459 this week, can't argue with that!
    The machine probably has a P2 processor with those kind of other specs you listed (maybe even a regular pentium!) so even with Ram and Hard drive upgrades , forget about XP as it would be very sluggish, maybe you could pull off Windows 2000 but probably Win98 would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

Cheers for the info. I'm hoping to put freeBSD and maybe try and run some lightweight X windows application sich as XFCE. Its only a bit of fun and I like the challenge of trying to get it run on a low a spec as possible. So to summarise, would this hard-disk work (notwithstanding that I'll only get the first 32Gb to use).

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE968400

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

Cheers for the input - I've ended up putting Ubuntu on it and it works like a dream...

Advertisement