Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport Runway

Options
  • 16-03-2007 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Is it just my imagination or is the main runway 17/35 a bit small for an international airport. I think its 2100m ?

Wont they have to extend it if Aer Lingus decide to start transatlantic flights out of there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Id imagine they will extend it for ETOPS but also the power used in an Aircraft's reverse thrust bring most Airliners to a halt very quickly, EICM is ( hopefully ) extending the runway to take 737-400 AC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

17/35 will take a 744, but not fully loaded IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

I remember back in 2001 when I was working in Cork airport (extending the north apron) a chartered 747 came in (and obviously left again) to bring the Munster rugby fans to a big European match.

One of the guys in ops told us that on take off it could only use the two engines closest the fuselage as the outer two would be over the grass rather than the concrete runway and they could not quarantee against picking up F.O.D.

There was one in again, about two years ago, I think (I was there that morning watching it leave), again for a Munster game.

The aircraft following on departure had to hold short of the runway, while it was inspected for debris after the 747 had taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

JSK 252 wrote:
    Is it just my imagination or is the main runway 17/35 a bit small for an international airport. I think its 2100m ?

Wont they have to extend it if Aer Lingus decide to start transatlantic flights out of there?
    Its on top of a hill, they have run out of hill.

• Advertisement

There was one in again, about two years ago, I think (I was there that morning watching it leave), again for a Munster game.

The aircraft following on departure had to hold short of the runway, while it was inspected for debris after the 747 had taken off.

Are you mistaking what you assumed was FOD for Wake Turbulance as a smaller aircraft is only allowed Arr/Dep a few minutes after a heavy has Arr/Dep due to the Wake turbluance said "Heavy" produces such as mini wind disturbances over the runway caused by the "Heavy" that may cause a lighter AC regardless or rating be it jet or prop or whatever to be injured, it has happened.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Steyr wrote:
    Are you mistaking what you assumed was FOD for Wake Turbulance as a smaller aircraft is only allowed Arr/Dep a few minutes after a heavy has Arr/Dep due to the Wake turbluance said "Heavy" produces such as mini wind disturbances over the runway caused by the "Heavy" that may cause a lighter AC regardless or rating be it jet or prop or whatever to be injured, it has happened.
    I can't speak for the specific incident you're referring to, but a light aircraft taking off after a "heavy" is a fairly routine occurrence. I've been there on a number of occasions, and it was simply a question of noting where the 737 (OK, not exactly a "heavy", but relative to my Cherokee it was) had rotated and clearing the ground ahead of it.

In this particular case, ATC offered a need to inspect the runway (17) for debris after the 747 had left, as an explanation for the short delay. A spotter near us had a handheld scanner.

I'm not well versed enough to know if wake turbulence would be a factor for a 737 sized aircraft, which if given clearance as normal would have been about five minutes behind the heavy, but I reckon if it were a Cessna, they would be held back for a while :)

Thats crazy, there is always a gap between different sized AC due to wake turbulence thats why a small one should never dep after a large one, see what happens when they do on Disc Wings, fatal consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

JSK 252 wrote:
    I think its 2100m ?
    2133 to be exact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I only rounded it off. 2100m, 2133m. meh. Not much of a difference. An aircraft wouldnt use the first 33 metres on landing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

JSK 252 wrote:
    I only rounded it off. 2100m, 2133m. meh. Not much of a difference
    I just clarified it as you had placed a question mark after it on your post so I assumed you were unsure. I wasn't trying to be smart. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

A KLM 744 diverted to Cork in an emergency there sometime within the last 2 years. Suspected bomb on board or something. So it must be able to take one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Wonder why it didn't go to Snn??

Id imagine of it was a bomb you really wouldnt want to be in the Air any longer than you have to hence land at EICK instead of EINN.:D

Hmmm.... not convincing.... no appreciable difference timewise

Long runway

ground equipment configured for handling widebodys

remote parking facilities..

:eek: sack the pilot who made that decision:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

JSK 252 wrote:
    I only rounded it off. 2100m, 2133m. meh. Not much of a difference. An aircraft wouldnt use the first 33 metres on landing anyway.
    Sometimes, they really need to use the last 33m. :D
    17/35 will take a 744, but not fully loaded IIRC.
    Biro wrote:
    A KLM 744 diverted to Cork in an emergency there sometime within the last 2 years. Suspected bomb on board or something. So it must be able to take one.
    Why are people referrring to them as 744s?

I am assuming they are referring to 747-400???

What would a KlM 737-400 be doing diverting to Ork??

Thats why I wondered about not going to Snn.

Somebody clear this up:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

oscarBravo wrote:
    I can't speak for the specific incident you're referring to, but a light aircraft taking off after a "heavy" is a fairly routine occurrence. I've been there on a number of occasions, and it was simply a question of noting where the 737 (OK, not exactly a "heavy", but relative to my Cherokee it was) had rotated and clearing the ground ahead of it.

The usual separation between a heavy and a medium, with the heavy departing first is 2 mins*.

i.e. 737 behind a 747.

* If the aircraft are taking off from the same position, 3 mins if the 74 is conducting a full-length take-off and the 73 is taking off from an intermediate position.

I was on an Air Luxor flight back in 2003 flying from Faro back to Cork. The A-320 which was supposed to fly us back to Cork had technical difficulites so they had to fly down an airbus A330 from Lisbon which was originally going to London Gatwick. So the plane picked up us corkonians, took off from Faro to Gatwick and the original passengers disembarked and the plane conntinued on to Cork.( This was a total bollocks but at least I got to go on a spacious A330 and you could pick whatever seat you wanted!)

About 20 minutes before landing into Cork the pilot came on the intercom to tell everybody to move to the back of the plane for weight distribution.

I was like s***. Are we going to have enough runway to land!.

The pilot made his approach into Cork very accurately and plane landed grand but I noticed that there was feck all runway left when the thrust reversers were put back to idle as the plane turned around(We came in from the city direction so there aint no taxiway!!!).

ETOPS or no ETOPS a big plane such as the A330 is going to have its work cutout to land with enough runway left at cork without blowing a tire or two.

• Advertisement

On the subject of ETOPS wasnt aer lingus the first airline to operate the first A330 ETOPS service to America?

Yep..they sure were.

JSK 252 wrote:
    I was on an Air Luxor flight back in 2003 flying from Faro back to Cork. The A-320 which was supposed to fly us back to Cork had technical difficulites so they had to fly down an airbus A330 from Lisbon which was originally going to London Gatwick. So the plane picked up us corkonians, took off from Faro to Gatwick and the original passengers disembarked and the plane conntinued on to Cork.( This was a total bollocks but at least I got to go on a spacious A330 and you could pick whatever seat you wanted!)

About 20 minutes before landing into Cork the pilot came on the intercom to tell everybody to move to the back of the plane for weight distribution.

I was like s***. Are we going to have enough runway to land!.

The pilot made his approach into Cork very accurately and plane landed grand but I noticed that there was feck all runway left when the thrust reversers were put back to idle as the plane turned around(We came in from the city direction so there aint no taxiway!!!).

ETOPS or no ETOPS a big plane such as the A330 is going to have its work cutout to land with enough runway left at cork without blowing a tire or two.

Trying to figure out what ETOPS has got to do with the last paragraph there:confused::confused:

Trying to figure out what ETOPS has got to do with the last paragraph there:confused::confused:

I actually dont have a clue why I siad that. I talk rubbish sometimes and dont have a clue what Im saying half the time!

My bad!:D

I hear what your'e saying:D

I hear what your'e saying:D

I do know quite alot about aviation though.

I'm sure you do, I'm sure you do, never doubted you for a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Excuse my ignorance but what is ETOPS?

• Advertisement
Advertisement