Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVG vs McAfee

Options
  • 16-03-2007 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi all

Quick question about the security on my computer.

So my free subscription that i got with my dell when i bought it seems to be up. I keep getting a notice to renew "McAfee Firewall Plus" and my computer is not fully protected

so i down loaded AVG free edition is this good enough protection? do i still have a firewall?

Before my subscription went McAfee completely changed its user interface and also gave me something called "SiteAdvisor" which gives boards a big red nono dont go here but boards is good so not sure how good this product is??

If i now have AVG should i uninstall McAfee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Yes you should it can interfere with your AVG and also other programs. Its harder to uninstall those bloody McAfee programs than to climb everest though sometimes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yep, get rid of McAfee, its a bloated piece of junk that eats your machines power. AVG free is very good but it doesn't include a firewall or anti spyware app. Windows has its own firewall but there are other options like Zone alarm that you can use instead. As regards antispyware I'd go with the free version of Lavasoft's Adaware.

I think there's a few threads dicsussing which app is better around here somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 woodaaa

thanks for the quick reply s guys i guess il get rid of it of it and download some of those other anti spy ware suggestions.

The one thing i do like about McAfee though is the shredder option are their any free programs that do this?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

CCleaner is quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 woodaaa

Thanks guys

now i have AVG Ad-Aware and ZoneAlarm protecting my computer and i have removed mcafee computer already booting up quicker!!

I already had ccleaner but it doesnt have a shredder for files like mcafee had ohwell

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Depends on what McAfee av you get there are a few different types out there and some are the best in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Have to agree with Jank.

We use McAfee in work and that version is the D.B. But I have found versions for home users to be a real pain in the As$.

So many friend & neighbours have come to me with PC problems and a lot of the time it is down to the McAfee that came with their PC, especially Spamkiller, which I would recommend that if you have it, you should disable it it causes terrible problems with email.

AVG is great, remember that the free version is not the only version, the full version is cheap enough and is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes I agree on McAfee - the business versions are very good. Bit annoying every time someone asks this question it's "Dump it - it's Sh**te. Use AVG/Avast"

McAfee can be a bit heavy on resources but with new machines more likely to be "Vista-ready" i.e. with 1 GB of memory this is likely to be less of a problem.

SiteAdvisor is free and AFAIK it has been pointed out to the powers that be that boards.ie gets a big red warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

AVG is better than McAfee so stick with that.
    also AVG anti-spyware is an excellent program, so smart choice getting that.Both are free which is really nice.

ccleaner gives you the option to shred files around 10times which should be enough really..i use this program myself for file shredding which seems to be excellent
    http://www.scar5.com/

Advertisement