Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carney goes to munster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

I think hes too late to be considered for the world cup squad but i think that beyond that he could defintly be contending for a place at wing or maybe even fullback, great addition for Munster and Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

My dream Irish backline for the world cup
    Murphy
    Horgan
    Darcy
    O'Dricoll
    Carney
    O'Gara
    Boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

thebaz wrote:
    Murphy
    Horgan
    Darcy
    O'Dricoll
    Carney
    O'Gara
    Boss

Carney hasnt got enough experience on the international side, playing alongside the other backs when compared to Hickey or even Trimble. Also Girv in ahead of Murphy and dont even get my started on why Stringer is leagues ahead of Boss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

Great signing for Ireland and Munster and if they keep him on the wing he could be a great succes like Robinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

markk06 wrote:
    Carney hasnt got enough experience on the international side, playing alongside the other backs when compared to Hickey or even Trimble. Also Girv in ahead of Murphy and dont even get my started on why Stringer is leagues ahead of Boss

We're all allowed dream up our best 15 , and yes i believe Boss offers more to the international game than Stringer , was it me alone who thought Boss played well against France . Stringer is good, but doesn't provide the different options that Boss does .

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Why? Argentina Tour, Churchill Cup and two warm up games, never mind Munster games, loads of time to shine.

True enough but Eddie O'Sullivan just doesn't strike me as the type of manager to select Carney until hes fully settled into Union, I could see him playing in the Churchill Cup though alright

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

EOS will be thinking, why gamble on Carney when he already has a tough time picking between Horgan, Trimble, Hickie and Murphy. It would be different if we were actually stuck for wingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

a great move for Munster, and if he works out he would not be a bad impact player for Ireland either..

At worst its a gamble worth taking on a world class rugby league player at a position we dont have a gigantic debth at, at best he becomes a near world class player who could force his way into the first 15..

I think Carney is a gamble, but its a worth a shot. Munster need extra legs in the backs right now, and with a few games I think he will be a good Heineken Cup player.

For Ireland, we need all the class players at backup we can get - so its worth a roll of the dice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

He's definitely worth a punt. Also, unlike 90% of league converts, this hasn't broken anyone's piggy bank.

Almost sure he'll be played on the wing and nowhere else. He certainly won't have been versed in kicking over the past number of years, so FB is out. He could have the skills for 12, but it would take work, and he's not exactly a beginner. Wing is the right position for him, and I wish him the best being a good friend of one of his brothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

I hate to be a wet blanket but I hope that some of the good from this comes back to Rugby League in Ireland. The sport that nurtured him from the Dublin Blues through to The Gold Coast Titans and everything in between.

The headline in the Irish Times was something like 'In from the cold'. Not a great start from the press.

Carney is a wonderful player and a credit to Rugby League. I hope he doesnt get the usual derision that League converts are usually subject to.

Enjoy him. He is class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Alex S.

Maccattack wrote:
    I hate to be a wet blanket but I hope that some of the good from this comes back to Rugby League in Ireland. The sport that nurtured him from the Dublin Blues through to The Gold Coast Titans and everything in between.

The headline in the Irish Times was something like 'In from the cold'. Not a great start from the press.

Carney is a wonderful player and a credit to Rugby League. I hope he doesnt get the usual derision that League converts are usually subject to.

Enjoy him. He is class.
    I would say Munster will play him on the wing.
    Potentially very good, should have more pace than any of the Munster wingers but he won't have the Rugby (Union) brain or Football skills i.e.
    when the full back is out of position, the winger has to drop back and effectively play full back, that's hard for any league convert also when a ball has kicked over his head and he has to leg it back and clear it out of the danger zone.
    I am not sure if he will make the Irish team, Horgan and Hickie are playing at world class level right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

thebaz wrote:
    Murphy
    Horgan
    Darcy
    O'Dricoll
    Carney
    O'Gara
    Boss

Hickie & Dempsy have probably been2 of the best Irish players in the 6N, cant see any reason to drop them, (if Murphy could transfer Leicester form to Ireland might have shout) Carney will only have a handful of Union games under his belt when RWC comes around, be absolutely amazed if he got starting place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Starting place, probably not. But a player of his talents cannot be ignored for the international squad.

Hopefully he will come roaring out of the blocks and score a load of tries (doubtful the ball will make it to him on the wing much though for Munster) he is a great player, He used to play Union when he was in school, so it's not alien to him.

I wish him the best of luck and think he is a great signing for the munster backs. Munster will need an extra dimension if they want to retain the Heinekein Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,065 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I don't see why EOS would waste time bringing a 30 player from different code when he has a wealth of up and coming players that he could blood on the summer tours.Players like Kearney,Fitzgerald,Lewis etc

Advertisement