Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What finish on larch kitchen table?

Options
  • 15-03-2007 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi all, i`m making a kitchen table(68" by 34" by 2" thick) out of 3 larch planks glued and pegged together, its been suggested to me to use beeswax or Danish oil for a nice colour but would it be a durable enough finish for a kitchen table? Tanx in advance for any thoughts.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Danish oil is a good finish, easily applied, and easily repaired. It would be better than beeswax in my opinion. You could spray bartop lacquer on the top, which is very durable, or any 2 pack lacquer.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I've used Danish oil most recently on an oak table and find it very good. You really need to build up about 5-6 coats on a table top, especially if there's an open grain or a lot of tearout. The beauty of Danish oil is that you can rub back any damaged area of finish very easily, clean and re-finish with minimal effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Yeah I'd recommend you seal it with Shellac before you oil it though and give it a good sanding with 320/400 grit sandpaper between coats... also leave it a good 24hrs between coats... it may seem dry but its not... Im currently applying this to a chess table ive made from maple/walnut and its turning out very nice (after three coats so far)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

Does the application of shellac or sanding sealer not defeat the whole purpose of Danish oil? I think the idea is to flood the grain and pores of the wood with the oil, protecting it and bringing up the colour also.

Advertisement