Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to look for cheap old camper?

Options
  • 15-03-2007 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭

Hello. I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of where to look/go or who to talk to about finding an old camper/motorhome for less than €5000. I know i probably wont get much for this but all i want is something reasonably solid that doesnt leak and keeps out the weather.

I dont mind something needing some work/tidying as i'm not entirely useless when it comes to practical things.

I'd be happy with an old converted Daf/LDV, old Transit, Bedford or whatever. The only major requirement have is that it MUST be rear wheel drive.

Not buying yet, but i'm considering it and want to build up some information....

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

With that budget you will have to kiss a few frogs before you find your "prince".

Sure there's lots of vans for under 5k going on e-bay or mobile.de ...but I wouldn't really advise buying one without having seen it. There is the occasional gem out there, well looked after, with good interior and no issues ...but there's an awful lot of overpriced mould ridden scrap as well.

You could easily blow the budget just on flying to wherever and looking at yokes, just to be bitterly disappointed every time.

Stick closer to home and take your time and check carzone and the buy&sell regularly.

There are three RWD models currently on carzone that meet your criteria.

You're probably best off sticking with van conversions, at least they won't be rotten through and through without being obvious and for some reason they're not quite as dear as "proper" motorhomes over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

Thanks for that info. I just looked on carzone and saw a handy lookin merc 408 conversion, used to drive one of those sometimes that i'd borrow off a local farmer (was the van version).

I dont mind gettin one that is a bit scruffy or that needs tidying like, it just would be handy if it didnt fall apart every 2 days....
    I dont even mind if the interior would be messy as long as it wasnt vermin infested/mouldy/rotten.
    I actually would love a MK2 transit (pre '86) though as i've had an obsession with them for years. I know they rot but they're dead simple mechanically

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Hi Asphalt

Look at ebay and type in item number 170075594018. That is the one I bought.

Mk 2 Tranny. It is in good order. I drove from Ahaus on the German Dutch border to Holyhead stopping only for petrol, Dover - Calais ferry and a four hour kip in Luton.

I have since run into a height restrictor and have a bit of a red face over that one but the van drives fine, sits happily at 95km/h and starts no bother.

I've got it parked up on private land at the moment and I've got to bring it to those nice people in the VRT to get it registered.

Nice. I want one.
    Well, would prefer a van conversion that still looks like a van but that's still nice

A van conversion stands and falls with the quality and practicability of the interior. A good conversion can make spacious camper out of a cramped VW, a bad one can even make a seven meter Sprinter seem too small.

It's only really by seeing it in the flesh and spending some time inside, exploring all the nooks and crannies, that you will be able to decide if it's good or bad.

I would also rate functionality a lot higher than looks ...nothing that a coat of paint and some new fabrics couldn't fix.

• Advertisement

I totally agree with your functionality over looks point. I dont mind at all how it would look, as longs as it not pink/lilac or baby blue or have peace signs and flowers on it.

I've now decided. It'll have to be either A old school Transit, Bedford CF or layland/daf. I might even convert it myself, will retain the standard roof line, which could be awkward, but i really only need it as a sort of mobile bedroom, preferably with a sink and cooker.

It's gonna be either matte black or orange!

many of you will cringe and probably not like the idea at all, but what can i say, i'm a bit of a lunatic.

I... will retain the standard roof line, which could be awkward...

Not only will it be awkward, it will also mean that you will not get it recocnised as a "motorcaravan", because for that you need an interior height of 6 foot. (or is it 180 cm?)

So no cheap motortax for you, no reasonable insurance and no NCT exemption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

would a VW split/bayT25 not meet your rear wheel drive requirement?

Sorry but I only have VW's:)

I totally agree with your functionality over looks point. I dont mind at all how it would look, as longs as it not pink/lilac or baby blue or have peace signs and flowers on it.

I've now decided. It'll have to be either A old school Transit, Bedford CF or layland/daf. I might even convert it myself, will retain the standard roof line, which could be awkward, but i really only need it as a sort of mobile bedroom, preferably with a sink and cooker.

It's gonna be either matte black or orange!

many of you will cringe and probably not like the idea at all, but what can i say, i'm a bit of a lunatic.

One time I saw a 4WD Sherpa camper.

Apparently when what are now LDV and Land Rover were all under the BL umbrella, the SWB sherpa was designed to fit onto the Land Rover chassis with ease.

The guy who owned it said there was practically no ground over which it wouldn't travel. He was a hippy type who ran an organic café tent and would stay in the Sherpa.

He absolutely loved it.

folkswagen wrote:
    would a VW split/bayT25 not meet your rear wheel drive requirement?

Sorry but I only have VW's:)

Well they're rear engined, so are rear wheel drive but there's a few obstacles in between me and one of those, firstly they're very expensive, second they're aircooled, and third i'm not a big fan of working on the mechanicals aircooled vws.
    Lovely things to look at though but they not really what i'm after,
    I need a standard layour front engine, rear wheel drive setup, as that's what i'm most comfortable with in terms of working on it.

Would probably end up fitting a more powerful/more modern diesel engine into the likes of a MK2 Transit or Bedford CF, an isuzu trooper 2.8TD or nissan Patrol 2.8TD 6 cylinder in the case of a bedford or leyland or in the case of a MK2 Transit a more modern Transit diesel or a Scorpio 2.5TD unit.

• Advertisement

peasant wrote:
    Not only will it be awkward, it will also mean that you will not get it recocnised as a "motorcaravan", because for that you need an interior height of 6 foot. (or is it 180 cm?)

So no cheap motortax for you, no reasonable insurance and no NCT exemption.

High roof MK2 transit? Very rare but they do exist, my uncle's next door neighbour had one a few years ago and i remember being just about able to stand in the back of it. I'm 6ft 2" and had to bend my head just a fraction...
    Maybe that would work...

As for insurance that doesnt worry me as i have open drive motor trade insurance due to working with a fleet management company

Might be able to get mobile workshop tax for it as i do a bit of welding and have a cert in it...

here are a few (not 100% serious) suggestions:

THIS

THAT

and the other

I wouldnt mind any of them, escpecially the Hanomag. Saw one of those in Kenmare years ago populated by about 15 german hippy types.

I'm not diggin the 69PS diesel engine though, Hell No!!! That would be gettin taken out and replaced anyway... too slow!!
    I thought the big Behemoth of a merc that i saw first was underpowered with 86PS, then i saw that Hanomag, How can it drive? Must look further on that site.
    If you spot any more old yokes like that please dont hesitate to post links to them, It's good to build up some information on what's out there

HERE is your LDV (Daf as it's LHD)

80_24.JPG

a seemingly nicely done IVECO (it's been for sale for ages ...so price should be highly negotiable by now ...plus you could possibly run it on classic tax and insurance)
    709e_24.JPG

dammit you've gone and made me obsessed with old merc vans! Argh! Yet another vehicle i'll now be obsessed with, so now we've got Capris, Merc vans, MK2 transits, Bedford Cfs, Isuzu troopers, BMWs, Sierras, Granadas... ETC ETC.

Oh dear, i'm steadily building up a collection of these vehicles, once i sart thinking about one i have to get some version of it,

So far i've got 2 granadas, A ford P100 and an Opel Rekord.
    Soon i'll have a capri... then i'll probably be off to either The UK or germany to find a Merc van or a MK2 transit.
    I should never have looked at the likes of the Red mercedes 319 that's on mobile.de

Hehe ...here's one to really get you going (click on the pic for details)

769e_24.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

A little over budget, but probably the best you will find at relatively small money.

J reg HYMER CAMPER DIESEL STOLEN/RECOVED WITH KEYS DRIVEAWAY £5350

Edit: Sorry missed the RWD bit!

invest4deepvalue.com

peasant wrote:

769e_24.JPG

Would imagine that a German Transit ambulance would be pretty good but amongst Tranny enthusiasts, the most desirable one is a German volunteer firefighter one.

Apparently they all tend to have very low mileage, were kept in specially heated and dry rooms to ensure they would start ok in the case of a callout so the body is tip top and finally, no expense was spared in maintennance.

Like so

Transit.jpg

I see your fire engine and I raise you the above ambulance which is ex civil defence stock and has a grand total of 19.000 km on the clock :D:D:D

peasant wrote:

769e_24.JPG

I saw that one last night actually, it a savage yoke. Argh! I'm goin to end up buyin one now.... it always the same if i start thinkin "wouldnt it be cool to have a...." i end up goin and gettin one of whatever it was i was thinking about.

• Advertisement

It definitely looks the part.

Extended roof as well. Recently got the German equivalent of the NCT as well.

Only difficulty is that there will be NCT payable on it.

And the little Red Cross above the windscreen has a charm of its own.

Do-more wrote:
    A little over budget, but probably the best you will find at relatively small money.

J reg HYMER CAMPER DIESEL STOLEN/RECOVED WITH KEYS DRIVEAWAY £5350

That seems to have some quite nasty damage to the structure (at the bottom, right behind the cab) and the bottom of the alcove looks a bit iffy as well.

Wouldn't advise buying that one (isn't particularly cheap either)

It definitely looks the part.

Extended roof as well. Recently got the German equivalent of the NCT as well.

Only difficulty is that there will be NCT payable on it.

And the little Red Cross above the windscreen has a charm of its own.

That transit is exactly the sort of thing i want. I dont really mind if it wont be in same tax class as "proper" coachbuilt campers and i dont need to worry about insurance. Most of the old transits i see are petrol though, but that's livable too seein as i've plenty of other yokes to use when i dont need the camper and i wouldnt be doin much travelling in it, just a few times a year

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Franner

AsphaltRising this is on gumtree http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/02/8734902.html.. might be worth checkin out.. I'm tempted to do so myself :).

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Franner

Btw I've an old Leyland camper that I'll probably be selling for parts soon and have mentioned on other forums, so I should probably clarify that the above isn't my van nor do I know person selling it etc :)

That's nice actually, although i'm thinkin lose the red A-Team stripe.
    The only non american van i really like to see as an A team replica is a Bedford CF, which is basically a scaled down version of that van anyway. Still though it'd be worth a look, seems clean and well equipped

Apparently the real A-Team van is actually metallic grey above the red stripe!

Apparently the real A-Team van is actually metallic grey above the red stripe!

the first one, or possibly second one was very very dark grey met above stripe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 actyerage

If there is someone out there doing clever engine conversions to Bedford CF, let me know.
    I just bought a 1981 Hymer, bedford Blitz.
    Looking at the spec of the engine, 2.3 petrol, I am seriously thinking of using the box out of an LDV200 with a 1.9 citroen turbo unit fitted instead of the 1.9 peugeot non turbo fitted to the LDV.
    It produces another 10BHP and has 1.5 times the torque.
    One of the local engine shops say they can adapt a drive ahaft to run from the LDV box to the Bedford diff.

• Advertisement

actyerage wrote:
    Looking at the spec of the engine, 2.3 petrol

Drive it for a while first ...theyre supposed not to be too bad on petrol, really.

You would have to have a serious drinker on your hands to justify the cost of conversion ...although the torque may well be an issue :D

Advertisement