Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hackers Panel video from InfoSecurity Europe conference.

Options
  • 15-03-2007 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Interesting video of a panel discussion on security and hacking, Gary McKinnon is on the panel: http://www.infosec.co.uk/page.cfm/link=285

Update: I'm wondering who Bob Ayers is and why he's appearing on this panel. If he's been working in private industry in the UK for the last few years he certainly keeping a low profile. I ran his name through Google UK, US and Ireland. The most I can come up with is this: http://www.chathamhouse.org.uk/index.php?id=20&eid=149

He appears as an International Security expert in the Directory of Expertise of Chatham House. Chatham House is an NGO and a UK registered charity that describes itself as "Europe’s leading foreign policy think-tank." Membership can be had online for £250 or £60; although it's not clear as to whether this gives the option to be included in their Directory of Expertise.

It's not just the battle against computer hackers that the US government is eager to win; it's also the battle for public opinion in the UK, especially where McKinnon and his extradition are concerned. So perhaps there's more to Bob Ayers than first meets the eye.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Oracle wrote:
    So perhaps there's more to Bob Ayers than first meets the eye.

Hint: I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

this is a description from 1999
    Bob Ayers is now a Security Consultant for Admiral Management Services in the UK after a 29 year career with the US DoD. His principal IT security related Security related assignments with the Defense Intelligence Agency where he served as the Chief of the DoD Intelligence Information System (DoDIIS) Computer Security Program. During this assignment Bob developed and implemented new methodologies to insure the security of over 40,000 computers processing highly classified intelligence information. Bob also founded the DoD CERT also known as the Automate Systems Security Incident Support Team or ASSIST while at the DIA Noticed for his work in DoDIIS information systems security, the US Assistant Secretary of Defence for Command & Control Communications, Intelligence selected Bob to create and manage a 155 person, $100M/Yr DoD-wide program to make systemic improvements to all aspects of DoD IT Security to include; Security Policy, Penetration Testing, Incident Response, Certification and Accreditation, Training & Education, Architecture & Engineering, and Multi-Level Security. Bob has also served as the Chief of the DoD Defensive Information Warfare Program Management Office where he managed a program to protect DoD Computers from hostile attack.

is that the same bob ayers? it sounds like him.
    Oracle wrote:
    It's not just the battle against computer hackers that the US government is eager to win; it's also the battle for public opinion in the UK, especially where McKinnon and his extradition are concerned. So perhaps there's more to Bob Ayers than first meets the eye.

you mean bob would speak in defense of mc kinnon, or against?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

i was thinking, maybe its just a coincidence that bob is on the same panel as gary..
    isn't it normal for retired military to do private consultation, where they have expertise?
    I'm just thinking of Brian Gladman who seems to be pro-privacy, and has done alot of good work in cryptography.

just believing that gary and bob on same panel is coincidental(for now), not a conspiracy.:D

Advertisement