Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adam smith on £20 notes

Options
  • 14-03-2007 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

yesterday the bank of England started printing £20 notes with Scottish economist Adam Smith on them. Score one for economists everywhere!

Bizzare that it came in during a labour Govt.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

About time. The man who started a new era.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

bright wrote:
    Bizzare that it came in during a labour Govt.:confused:

Makes perfect sense if you ask me. Come next election Gordon Brown will step up to the podium at the annual Confederation of British Industry dinner and remind all the big wigs there that it was new Labour who introduced the Adam Smith 20 bob note. 'Don't vote Tory', he'll say, 'they'll put Enoch Powell on it'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

at the brittish industry dinner i'd imagine it would be met with a few Enoch Powell was right remarks......but, yeah your point makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

anon economic question in the pure sense, will the odd £20 notes be still legal tender and til when? I have a bunch of them at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Yes, the Series E (modified) 20, Elgar portraitwill stay legal tender for up to two years, and then it will be withdrawn. All old Bank of England notes get honoured for their full value.

Since this note is in a different format and layout, it means the 5, 10 and 50 also change, and there might be a 100 Pound note added later.

I'd like to see Enid Blyton on the fiver, Brunel on the tenner, Agatha Christie on the fifty, Nelson on the Hundred.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I think Adam Smith would be laughing in his grave if he knew that a £20 note was a promise to £20.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement