Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Turion processor vs Intel Pentium

Options
  • 14-03-2007 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

In my ignorance, I thought that Intel were the only company to make a Core 2 duo processor but now I see "AMD Turion TM 64 X2 Dual-Core". So I'm wondering what's the difference beween that and an Interl Pentium Dual 2 Core?
    At the end of the day, the laptop I'm gonna be buying is gonna be used just for browsing the Internet and for typing up accounts and stuff, so I doubt I'd need a mega processor for that, but just for interest's sake, I'd like to know what the difference is (if any) between the two processors mentioned above?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dual core is a technical term for computers with essentially two processors or "brains".

The AMD has two, but so does the Intel have two. Core 2 Duo is a brand name that Intel has created and refers to processors that are dual core.

Generall speaking in this round of the processor wars, Intel has the lead on raw processing power. But you can rest assured AMD will leapfrog Intel soon and the cycle will continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭defenstration

And is there much of a difference between AMD Turion and AMD Sempron? If I was gonna buy a laptop just for email and typin up documents, that kinda basic stuff, I'm sure the Sempron would do a grand job? Or would it for any reason be worth forking out an extra hundred euro for a Turion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

And is there much of a difference between AMD Turion and AMD Sempron? If I was gonna buy a laptop just for email and typin up documents, that kinda basic stuff, I'm sure the Sempron would do a grand job? Or would it for any reason be worth forking out an extra hundred euro for a Turion?

The Sempron is more then enough for that sort of thing. Sempron is both single core and the 'budget' amd processor like the Intel Celeron but also like the Celeron it is still a relatively fast one.

Advertisement