Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New dell laptop advice

Options
  • 14-03-2007 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Ok this is the cheapest laptop i can get off dell. I just need a laptop for browsing the net and probly playing a bit of football manager, watching DVDs etc and the odd game but nothing really powerfull.

this is the cheapest laptop i can get off dell for 440euro. Heres the spec:

Mobile AMD Sempron technology 3500+

Microsoft Operating System:
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic - English
    Collect & Return, 90 Day Service only
    LCD:
    14.1 Wide Screen WXGA (1200 X 800) TFT display 88169 [230-10058] 760

Keyboard:
    Internal Keyboard - (QWERTY) - UK/Ireland

Memory:
    512MB 533MHz Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM (1x512) 91394 [370-12141] 3

Hard Drive:
    60GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive

CD/DVD Drives:
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software

Video Card:
    ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory™ 77301 [490-10592] 6

Primary Battery:
    4Cell 29WHr Primary battery

Modem:
    56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter 6782 [530-10757] 14

Standard Warranty:
    Collect & Return, 90 Days Service only 77263 [680-17531][680-17532] 29

Power Supply:
    65W AC Adapter 56631 [450-11244] 41

Wireless Local Area Networking:
    Dell™ Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini-PCI Card (for AMD Processors) 75742 [555-10880] 19

AntiVirus & Security Software:
    McAfee® Security Centre™ 8.0 - 15 Month Protection - English 89688 [650-10793] 40

Microsoft Application Software:
    Microsoft® Works 8.5 - English 9106 [630-11001] 25

Well what do you think. Any advice, i was thinking of holding out a few weeks (im in no rush) and seeing do they do a free double ememory offer as id rather have a gig of ram for football manager. other than that any essential upgrades or cheaper options about for a basic laptop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

First think you want to if you buy this laptop is get rid of Vista and install XP! Otherwise you will have the slowest laptop ever!

I just got my sister a 1501 with pretty much the same spec as you for €700 EUR.

However it has:

- AMD Turion 64 X2 TL50
    - 1024MB RAM (2 x 512MB) 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    - 15.4" Wide Screen XGA TFT Display with TrueLife 1280*800 (I recommend that TrueLife! Looks the business and easier on the eyes. Much brighter too!)

But even this laptop was dead slow with Vista... Installed XP and it's perfect now! ;)

And I don't think you'll find new laptops for €440 EUR anywhere else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

That will be pain trying to get rid of vista and getting XP on it though, id probly end up wrecking/breaking it.

Ye i'll hold out till the double memory offer comes available and then i'll buy. The truelife cost an extra 140euro which tbh im not prepared to pay.

That will be pain trying to get rid of vista and getting XP on it though, id probly end up wrecking/breaking it.
    It's easy enough in fairness... You just need to be careful when you install the drivers. If you put them in the wrong order you'll hate to start from scratch (happened to me just last week...).

Ye i'll hold out till the double memory offer comes available and then i'll buy. The truelife cost an extra 140euro which tbh im not prepared to pay.
    I wanted it for my sister but didn't want to pay for it... So instead of ordering online I rang Dell. Got TrheLife and 1 Year extended warranty pretty much for free! :D

It's easy enough in fairness... You just need to be careful when you install the drivers. If you put them in the wrong order you'll hate to start from scratch (happened to me just last week...).

I wanted it for my sister but didn't want to pay for it... So instead of ordering online I rang Dell. Got TrheLife and 1 Year extended warranty pretty much for free! :D

How the hell did you manage that? Would like trulife but couldnt justify its cost at present

How the hell did you manage that? Would like trulife but couldnt justify its cost at present
    I guess I should be in sales... Don't know how I managed it! Guess I sounded so sad and pitiful that the sales agent felt he had to give me extra stuff! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Revalco

Nvm, sorted.

On another not how powerful is the ATi GFX? could I play HL2?

I just went onto dell and then onto notebooks and selected the very basic of everything and that was the result.

Dont think you'll get very far playing most ames - its more just a browsing the internet sort of laptop. It really needs the extra ram and XP to be anyway decent methinks!

Cool, i spend most my time just browsing. But like to break out the crowbar every once in awhile :D

Revalco wrote:
    On another not how powerful is the ATi GFX? could I play HL2?
    AFAIK it's an on-board graphics card which uses the actual RAM as its memory (it doesn't have it's own). Wouldn't play games on such laptops... Unless you're into minesweeper... :p

(Puts down crowbar) :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi all,

Never had a problem with DELL Outlet laptops.

Bought a Inspirion 8200 while living in the US. Just replaced the HDD. Still going great but its USB 1.1 so just went and bought the new 9400 for 700 euros. (Dell outlet) 1830 Core Duo. Just got my shipping back !!!!

only 512 ram but no problem upgrading. Just upgraded to beast xp pro really nice.

Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It runs Half Life 2/CS Source fine on medium settings - long as you have at least 768mb Ram though, 512mb + the onboard won't cut it really...

It can also Run Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 - it's onboard, yes but at the current moment it's the best onboard available.

So basically this machine would be grand if i take vista off and put XP on and upgrade to 1gig of ram?

For 100euro extra, i can get this spec:

BASE Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T2060(1.6GHz/533MHz/1MB) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic - English edit
    HARDWARE SUPPORT Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only edit
    Dell Recommends
    Increase your productivity and get peace of mind
    Basic Package, 3 Year At-Home Service
    Learn More

Upgrade to Basic Package, 3 Year At-Home Service [add € 229.90 or €9/month1]

LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display edit
    MEMORY 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x512) edit
    HARD DRIVE 80GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software edit
    GRAPHICS CARD Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory edit
    PRIMARY BATTERY 6 Cell, 56Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
    Accessories
    WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Dell Wireless 1390 802.11b/g 54Mbps Mini-PCI Wireless Card, for Dual Core Processors edit
    CARRY CASES Free - Deluxe Nylon Carry Case edit
    FLOPPY/MEDIA DRIVES No Floppy Drive Option edit
    COLOR CHOICE No Snap on LCD Back Cover

Is it worth the extra 100euro considering im pretty broke and will probly never use or need that spec from the one i originally posted?

If i add the Epp i can get the above better system for 560euro or the basic sytem for 410!!

Think i'll go with the basic system though, short of cash at the moment and dont think i need all that extra power

PS with the Epp can i just put down any companies name? Do they check or whats the deal here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If i add the Epp i can get the above better system for 560euro or the basic sytem for 410!!

Think i'll go with the basic system though, short of cash at the moment and dont think i need all that extra power

PS with the Epp can i just put down any companies name? Do they check or whats the deal here?
    They don't check. Just put down one of the big banks as the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

WARNING!!!!
    WHAT EVER YOU DO MAKE SURE U GET 1GB OF RAM!!
    my sister bought a dell laptop recently with vista and only 512 mb ram and it was as slow as fook, so slow that it kept crashing and stalling.
    i rang them up cause i know from other techies that ya need at least 1 gb for vista.
    they said that there has been alot of "performence" issues ie slow as hell and they were aware of this from other customers,
    my sis then rang up, gave out stink and managed to get a free upgrade to 1gb!!!!

just giving ya a heads up
    dell are great company and know there stuff and the outlet store is ledge!
    they also have a ebay store sellin scratched computers at knock down prices better then the outlet anyway

edit: heres the link to there ebay store http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Dell-Outlet_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d999QQftidZ2QQtZkm
    theres an XPS there at the mo for 373 sterling!!

skelliser wrote:
    WARNING!!!!
    WHAT EVER YOU DO MAKE SURE U GET 1GB OF RAM!!
    my sister bought a dell laptop recently with vista and only 512 mb ram and it was as slow as fook, so slow that it kept crashing and stalling.
    i rang them up cause i know from other techies that ya need at least 1 gb for vista.
    they said that there has been alot of "performence" issues ie slow as hell and they were aware of this from other customers,
    my sis then rang up, gave out stink and managed to get a free upgrade to 1gb!!!!

just giving ya a heads up
    dell are great company and know there stuff and the outlet store is ledge!
    they also have a ebay store sellin scratched computers at knock down prices better then the outlet anyway

edit: heres the link to there ebay store http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Dell-Outlet_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d999QQftidZ2QQtZkm
    theres an XPS there at the mo for 373 sterling!!

Thnaks for the heads up, but if i get a machine with only 512 ram id reinstall XP onto it anyway.

The outlet and ebay are good for higher spec machine, but not so great for the lower end!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

ya get xp im not to impressed with vista maybe after service pack 1,
    but ur still gonna have to fork out for xp i think around ~e100 i could be wrong about that price tho

Are the XP drivers anywhere on the Dell site? I really dont want Vista after using it, plus it will prevent me from getting a 512ram option.

I wish they gave the choice, i know the outlet laptops all have XP but the cheaper spec are actually more expensive than the main site.

When i put a bid on the ebay dell outlet it wont let me cos im Irish instead of from the UK??? What the hell?

• Advertisement

Are the XP drivers anywhere on the Dell site? I really dont want Vista after using it, plus it will prevent me from getting a 512ram option.

I wish they gave the choice, i know the outlet laptops all have XP but the cheaper spec are actually more expensive than the main site.

When i put a bid on the ebay dell outlet it wont let me cos im Irish instead of from the UK??? What the hell?
    There are 2 DellFactoryOutlets on eBay. One is for Ireland, the other for the UK. You can't bid on the UK laptops.

And yes, all the XP Drivers can be found on the Dell website. I formatted 2 different laptops from Dell (a 6400 and a 1501) in the last 2 weeks and found all the XP drivers on the website. Just make sure you install them in the correct order!!!

Just got my 6400 Dell with the Duo core and 1gig ram, 80gig hardrive yesterday.

Its really nice, was a bargain at 560euro. And that included a bag for free as well.

Happy days I see in the papers today they are selling the same laptop with only 512ram/no bag either for 640 euro!

Anyone know of a programme to remove all the crappy software that gets supplied on a new dell? I remember somebody mentioning it a while back?
    Its a pain in the ass and i heard the McAfee they supply is hard to get of the laptop? Iw ant to install Commodo (or whatever its called) instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Google Dell decrapifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Anyone know of a programme to remove all the crappy software that gets supplied on a new dell? I remember somebody mentioning it a while back?
    Its a pain in the ass and i heard the McAfee they supply is hard to get of the laptop? Iw ant to install Commodo (or whatever its called) instead.
    * Here's the Dell Decrapifier: http://www.protista.com/143003/Dell+Decrapifier.htm
    * You may prefer a complete reinstall to remove all the crap. This is my preferred method

Thanks lads.

De-crapifier - excellent name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ethernet wrote:
    * Here's the Dell Decrapifier: http://www.protista.com/143003/Dell+Decrapifier.htm
    * You may prefer a complete reinstall to remove all the crap. This is my preferred method

Just don't delete the Media Direct partion.

BostonB wrote:
    Just don't delete the Media Direct partion.

Ok I wont.

Im raging I didnt just pay the extra 35euro for premium that Dell were offering(at the time I thought i wanted rid of Vista) but now i like it and would prefer Premium.

Theres no way I'll be paying microsoft over 100euro for the upgrade thats for sure. If anyone can help me out there that would be cool...

Advertisement