Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What laptop?

Options
  • 14-03-2007 3:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi,
    Am heading to New Zealand and am planning on buying a laptop over there. I know very little about them and basically i really only want one as i am hoping use it to write a novel. My only requests are that it is small and as far under the grand mark as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on a make which would be good for my needs and reasonably idiot proof! Also has anyone any ideas what kind of prices i can expect in New Zealand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

TBH, there is no one laptop (or computer that matter) that is easier to use than the other. You can generally choose any operating system you want, as long as it is Windows Vista :)

Sounds like you want one that is small and portable, rather than powerful, correct?

The problem with that is, you are paying a premium for screens under 13". A Dell XPS with a 12" screen starts at €1300 here. If you are willing to "put up with" a 14" screen, prices are more within your budget. I have no idea what the prices might be like in New Zealand, I suppose you could ask on Boards.co.nz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 will'o'wisp

cheer for your ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

As for your choice of Operating Systems forget Vista.
    Consider a MacBook

You won't be disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Jason1984 wrote:
    Consider a MacBook

willowisp wrote:
    and as far under the grand mark as possible.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Jason1984 wrote:
    Consider a MacBook

I have updated the charter to prevent posts like this. Please read it. From now on, irrelevant posts like this will not be tolerated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

PC World had a 12.1" Freevent for 999 recently - not a bad deal, considering prices increase as screen size decreases once you're going under 14.1" really. The spec's for a laptop that size were respectable too - 1Gb Ram, Core 2 Duo, etc. All in all, a very good deal but that was a while ago, I'm not sure if they still have it. Would be worth checking out your local branch, although don't bother with their online website, it's horribly outdated and just rubbish really. (This was in PC World Galway, again, I don't know if it was just this store or a nationwide thing)

A Macbook would also be fairly suitable but 1) Much too expensive given your budget and 2) Might not appeal to you for everything you want to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

I think the Freevents is a great laptop, never had any trouble until this week, I am having a small bit of bother with the cd/dvd burner at the minute. Time to see if the PC World insurance I got is any good!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Well we're in Auckland now so the local PC world is a bit away ( and it would have been Galway!).
    been looking at some shops here and have found the following model that fit into Will'o'wisp profile.
    I just want a un-bias opinion on them as i have a different profile for a laptop.

HP Dv2112tu e700
    Core Solo 1.86GHz
    60Gb Hdd
    512Mb Ram
    14.1" lcd

HP Presario F503AU e600
    Turion 64 @.0GHz
    80GB HDD
    512Mb Ram
    14.1" Lcd

NEC E6200 e650
    Core Duo 1.6GHz
    80Gb HDD
    512Mb Ram
    14.1" Wide Lcd

staying away from vista at all costs.

just would like some input as i want a brute of a machine and she wants a ballerina!!!

also whats the costs like compared to ireland. it's been 6 months since we left there so my valuing is a bit out.

thanks in advance

ps oh by the way, will'o'wisp is my girlfriend so hence the same ips(sometimes).

Advertisement