Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No lap of honour/thanks last Sat?

Options
  • 13-03-2007 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows if the drama in the final minutes was the reason the team didn't go round Murrayfield with the trophy to say thanks to the 30,000+ who travelled to support them?

Was a bit miffed at the time tbh, it wasn't obvious what the reason was.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

in general they don't do laps of honour unless there is something big to celebrate. No-one was over the moon with just a triple crown so far, so they probably didn't want to make a big deal of it especially after that performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Maybe....but I've been at matches we've lost and the team has made an effort for the crowd... just thought it was stange as did others - it came up in the pub later!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I dunno, I've seen very few laps of honour over the years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

TBH there was a very subdued atmosphere at the final whistle and for a few hours afterwards in Edinburgh. Very strange. Think it shows that everyone from supporters to team to EOS thought that we missed out on a fantastic opportunity to win a championship.

Thanks to England that chance, albeit an outside one, is back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

they performed terribly, ronan o'gara was in a bad state aswell so i imagine none of them were overjoyed and so werent bothered with doing a lap of honour, i would also imagine they consider the tripe crown they just won for the country as sufficient thanks to the people who travelled over

im sure whatever happens next week you'll get the lap of honour as its the end of the championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I agree Bucks, elation was brief but there was no real sense of celebration around the place. We met up with some people we hadn't seen in over 2 years so we had our own celebrations but even the pubs were subdued.

I still appreciate when a team takes 30 seconds of their lives to show they appreciate the people who've travelled to support them. Okay it wasn't exactly a long haul flight away, but drink aside, this wasn't a cheap weekend. Given the disappointing game, I thought the team would at least share their triple crown with the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Does this mean theres no triple corwn dvd this year?

gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

IMO - the emergence of the World Cup and Heineken Cup has impacted the significance of a Triple Crown -- to becoming merly insignificant -- just my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Tbh I would have cringed if they had done one after that performance. I also don't think the TC is worthy of a lap of honour anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Conor_8

Would assume it was down to the O'Gara business. We hardly even noticed BOD collecting the trophy with everything else going on. We are past massive celbrations for Triple Crowns, but the fact remains that it would have been nice to acknowledge the large travelling support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Conor_8 wrote:
    Would assume it was down to the O'Gara business.

I doubt that very much. I think they're just a team with bigger ambitions than an archaic trophy that is only a curiosity anymore. If they did a lap and had a genuine sense of achievement, it would demonstrate limited aims. A few years ago it was a step up, but now its just the same level that theyve been at for the last 5 years, and so I would understand their 'underwhelmment'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

You can hardly call a trophy which has only been awarded since last year "archaic", but I take your point.

If Ireland are to progress beyond recent achievements they need to focus on the bigger prize. England make little of Triple Crowns, although they'd probably bite their own arms off to have one now. Even their celebration with the shield/plate/whatever-the-hell-it-is for the cameras as subdued. They shouldn't be pleased with their performance and I really think we're owed a big game this weekend.

Advertisement