Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get away with just a circular saw?

Options
  • 13-03-2007 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

How's it going everyone I'm planning on getting into a few small projects mainly plywood and jigsaw work. Here's a link of a few good ones I found:

http://www.canply.org/english/literature_media/plyplans.htm

Having looked through most of the plans they all mention using a table saw to do the main cuts, I don't have one and I don't really have the space to use one if I did fork out for one so would a circular saw be accurate enough for doing 8 foot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Yes, I reckon you'd easily get by with a circular saw.

A technique I used to use was to lay down an 8'x4' aeroboard sheet (insulation) and cut the panels on that... try to have the saw cutting to a depth only a little greater than the width of the panel... i.e 20mm to 25mm or so. This is easier than using battons under the panel but either way does work.

Use a long straight edge, i.e a piece of timber, to guide the circular saw. If you have it setup nicely and push the saw through in a smooth straight non-stop action you should achieve nice cuts.

Cheers
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Great stuff! :) Thanks for the advice, just one quick question, should I be cutting with an extra dept of 20mm or should I have a 25mm saw depth when cutting a board that's 20mm or should I have the blade 20-25mm deeper than the board?

Would I get a decent circular saw for around 40 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

You wouldn't really get a decent saw for that price? When your cutting ply or mdf sheets for what you want to do you will need a fine blade for that (a blade with a lot more than just 6 teeth)

Also when cutting 20mm thick material only set the blade to a max of 25mm depth for safety reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

You wouldn't really get a decent saw for that price? When your cutting ply or mdf sheets for what you want to do you will need a fine blade for that (a blade with a lot more than just 6 teeth)

Also when cutting 20mm thick material only set the blade to a max of 25mm depth for safety reasons!

Do you reckon this is a reasonable blade?

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=19677&MAN=Draper-1300w-185mm-Circular-Saw-With-Tct-Blade-240v

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

not really going to last too long I reckon myself and it will be a really cheap and nasty blade you get with it also. How about streching a few euro and getting this Dewalt one http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=1570&MAN=Dewalt-Dw62k-Circular-Saw-In-Plastic-Case-240v?

You will get a really good blade with this one. The only thing with it is that you will not get a very fine blade with it. You'l get an in between course and fine blade with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement