Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comodo question

Options
  • 13-03-2007 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

After looking at these Leak Tests I've decided to give Comodo another try and ditch ZoneAlarm Free.

My question revolves around allowing permission for programs to access the internet. Often there may be as many as 20 separate questions regarding permission (I think they are often regarding port queries) for certain apps, especially games. Do I have to grant each of those ~20 queries separate access or is it enough to grant one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

thought you had to allow each program separately access to the internet
    good choice on changing to comodo, heard excellent things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

There is a handy option to scan for all 'known applications', but this doesn't pick everything up. You can manually select the .exe file for specific programs, but if you don't do this, i.e. run the program without any prior access granted, I find that there are numerous questions regarding ports. Not knowing anything about ports, I'm confused as to why something like a game would require 20 ports to be opened to function.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Another question if I may jump in with both feet here? :)

Why doesn't Comodo remember my settings? (This may also be port related) It seems as though it asks me everyday about Skype, Firefox etc. Now this might be because these applicaitons are acting in different ways than Comodo has seen them act before (i.e. different port usage or searching for updates, acting as a server etc) but I get the impression that Comodo is not remembering my settings. Is there a save settings button somewhere or a file I can alter?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

No worries, r3nu4l

As far as I can see it is very close to the ZoneAlarm system. There are 3 options:

1) Block
    2) Allow
    3) Allow/ Block and remember settings

1 and 2 will only Allow/ Block for the time you run that application. Next time you run it it will ask you again and again...

When it asks you for permission you should tick the box above the allow button - this will make your answer (Allow/ Block) a permanent response unless you change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It seems as though it asks me everyday about Skype, Firefox etc. Now this might be because these applicaitons are acting in different ways than Comodo has seen them act before (i.e. different port usage or searching for updates, acting as a server etc) but I get the impression that Comodo is not remembering my settings.
    You know, I see this a lot as well, often with applications that don't change behaviour regularily. I'm becoming more convinced that whats happening is that two network events are happening in close enough proximity to each other for Comodo to misattribute them.

I see it happening a bit when I would try to, for example, send a message with MSN and suddenly I get a popup about Firefox. In the meantime, MSN has frozen, the message hasn't shown up in the chat dialogue yet. I click Ok and suddenly its there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I find it a bit of a pain to authorise each and every port query for every single program I install. But it's worth doing it and thankfully Comodo rarely asks me twice about the same application.

I find Comodo excellent and always recommend it to family and friends. I actually formatted 3 laptops in the last 2 weeks and installed both AVG Free and Comodo but also software such as Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware SE, Spyware Blsater, etc. Can hardly go wrong once you have all that! ;)

Advertisement