Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSBC Passport account

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It is a rip off, but whether or not it's worth the hassle is up to the individual.

It's not that hard to get one set up, once you have the right details (such as photo ID and something with your UK address on it (like a statement from your Irish Bank). It might take an attempt or two, but otherwise it's not so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Lamps

So you have to pay £50 so they can use your money? Crazy - i dont know how much hassle it is to set up an account, but it would want to be a major major hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

BuffyBot wrote:
    It is a rip off, but whether or not it's worth the hassle is up to the individual.

It's not that hard to get one set up, once you have the right details (such as photo ID and something with your UK address on it (like a statement from your Irish Bank). It might take an attempt or two, but otherwise it's not so bad.

Ahh its a lot harder than that, my girlfriend had nothing but major grief trying to get a bank account in the UK, once bank told her they couldn't give her an account because she had no credit history!

Ahh its a lot harder than that

Not nessecarily, took me a couple of phone calls to get an appointment - once I did get one I walked out with an overdraft, credit card and debit card - and I had no credit history in the UK.

Persistance, more than anything, is all that it takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

If i set up a halifax account over here, would i be able to transfer it to an english account when i go over/before i go over?

Can i not just transfer my aib account to an english aib account?

Id really not want to have to pay £50 or have to go through a load of hassle going to various banks about the place.

• Advertisement

No, AIB UK/Halifax UK are treated as completely seperate organisations from their Irish counterparts, so you can't transfer accounts between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

same situation here really. buffybot, can i ask what bank you eventually got your account with? And can ya get a letter stating your UK address before ya move over to the UK?

First one I got was from NatWest, but had appointments to go see Lloyds TSB and Halifax..NatWest offered on the spot so I didn't have to worry about the other two in the end.

As for the second question, I have no idea. If you have a UK address (relatives/friends etc) then I'd recommend you get some statements sent there, so you have something with a UK address on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I've an account with HSBC in the UK, I remember that I didn't have too much hassle setting it up but it was organised by the company I was working for.

My advice would be to have as many forms of ID as possible with you, including passport, drivers licence etc. and have some bank statements from Ireland aswell as a utility bill or two. That offer of £60 is a rip off, but it is also very handy to be able to transfer money before you go...

xebec wrote:
    I've an account with HSBC in the UK, I remember that I didn't have too much hassle setting it up but it was organised by the company I was working for.

My advice would be to have as many forms of ID as possible with you, including passport, drivers licence etc. and have some bank statements from Ireland aswell as a utility bill or two. That offer of £60 is a rip off, but it is also very handy to be able to transfer money before you go...

But you need something with your english address on it, thats what i dont have and won't get for a while and thats the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

But you need something with your english address on it, thats what i dont have and won't get for a while and thats the problem

That's an issue alright, but I was actually still living in Ireland at the time and getting paid in the UK - long story - so my account was set up with my Irish address and the bank had no problem with it.

OK well HSBC have approved me for a bank account so when i go over i have to bring my details in to a HSBC and away i go. So what I will do is try a load of other banks first and if all fails i'll set up with HSBC.

So can anyone recommend me the best bank to set an account up with? Im talking easyness (from experience), charges, intrest, customer care etc

Thanks for any help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Barclays and NatWest are good. Halifax would never approve me for anything, even a savings account so from personal experience I'd steer clear. I still have a UK account with Smile that's internet based so they never write to me and hence don't know that I technically live in Ireland now.

Advertisement