Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest 'Livable' Property in Dublin

Options
  • 13-03-2007 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Hey, as most of you know by now, I am applying for a mortgage through the Shared Ownership.
    Now when I am approved, no matter how much I am approved for, it wont be much in terms of today's going prices, and so lately, I have been spending all my time trawling through various property sites, looking for Dublin's Cheapest 'Livable' Property.

I would like to put a challenge to the Boards community. Who can find the Cheapest, most livable, property in Dublin?

I have found 3 properties that I would consider to be livable. Each one requires a bit of work, but its do-able.

They are as follows:

http://www3.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=307549&np=&rt=search&searchlist=

http://www.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=309141&np=&rt=search&searchlist=

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

don't buy in summerhill and the rialto one is a bit dodge also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

problem is, once they are advertised as cheap, everyone will be looking at them, so you could probably add another 10k to the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭massplanck

What makes people here think that paying out 1000 euro a month to live alone in 1 bed room matchbox in the delightfull summerhill is 'cheap'?

:eek:

this country is nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

massplanck wrote:
    What makes people here think that paying out 1000 euro a month to live in 1 bed room matchbox in the delightfull summerhill is 'cheap'?

:eek:

How much further work does this match box need ??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Downstairs there is a open plan room with space for a kitchenette and a toilet.

I dont like the sound of that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    I would like to put a challenge to the Boards community. Who can find the Cheapest, most livable, property in Dublin?
    ?

:confused:

I dunno. Mrs Doyle. TBH Hold off. You will get more bang for your buck in a few months if you do really want to take the plunge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is alot more liveable properties in liveable areas if you look further a field then the city.

was going to be my reply..then I looked at myhome.ie and there are 3 properties there in Dublin for under 200k.

it is all mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Zambia232 wrote:
    How much further work does this match box need ??
    Striking of the match? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭babytooth

why are you so desperate to buy something.

the three you have outlined are nothing more than shed, peg on at least another 60 k to fix roofs, install plumbing and insulation as well as electrics, bascially your buying a site....

why not move to aus for a year, buy over there then..

or move to england, or the states,

see what you can get for 350 k dollars in places outside boston or philly or chicago or NY....prepare to be shocked.

• Advertisement

babytooth wrote:
    why are you so desperate to buy something.
    I'm not desperate to buy something, I want to buy something and this thread was originally posted as a fun challenge, nothing more.
    why not move to aus for a year, buy over there then..

or move to england, or the states,

Because I don't want to.

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    I'm not desperate to buy something, I want to buy something

Have you read any of the other threads in this forum about negative equity and current drops in house prices?

It is a fun challenge! But i would be pretty worried if you were actually considering to buy one of these places!

www.daft.ie/115226

probabaly the cheapest 'liveable' property in dublin (ie has a toilet in it) @ 225,000.

I wonder what estates surround it though.:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thats horribley over priced for the area.

I really do not envy anyone house hunting now.

For under 300k there is lots available but for under 250 I really can't see much.

Moonbeam wrote:
    I really do not envy anyone house hunting now.

on the contrary. Its a buyers market atm. But who would want to buy when prices are falling? Do they think they will stop falling once they get a foot on the 'ladder'?

They aren't generally falling,just rising at a lower rate.

Moonbeam wrote:

They are falling in some areas according to the PTSB/ESRI report
    Its an AVERAGE growth rate of 0.1%
    Its obvious the market has not picked up since the information for this report was gathered and I expect the next report to give an AVERAGE grownth rate in the negative.
    Plus inflation is well above 0.1%

Moonbeam wrote:

An analysis performed on myhome.ie this week (6 day period) has confirmed that many asking prices on www.myhome.ie continue to be revised downwards.

418 price drops have been detected and are detailed in the latest IrishPropertyWatch report. Please note that these drops do NOT include the ~284 drops detected last week, all 418 have occoured in the past six days.

The total euro value of the reduced asking prices is roughly €10.5 million.

http://www.irishpropertywatch.com

They are falling in some areas according to the PTSB/ESRI report
    Its an AVERAGE growth rate of 0.1%
    Its obvious the market has not picked up since the information for this report was gathered and I expect the next report to give an AVERAGE grownth rate in the negative.
    Plus inflation is well above 0.1%

you forgot to mention that the PTSB/ESRI report lags 3 months behind what is actually happening in the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cinddy

I will have to ask ireland's most trusted realtors for that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Smoggy wrote:

"Great location, just a few minutes stroll from the national roads network"

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Mrs. Doyle

You say you are applying for a 'mortgage' under the 'Shared Ownership'. My understanding of Shared Ownership is that you get approved for X amount and if you find a dearer place, the council are able to put up the extra money (within reason) and you rent this part from them until you can pay them back.

The whole point of the scheme is to help people on a low to middle income afford their own place - this doesn't mean you have to live in a shed.

I know what you mean about the idea of the thread being fun (and it is fun to see what you get on the 'cheap' nowadays) but on a serious note, you shouldn't have to compromise your living conditions!!

My advice is to see what you get offered, ask the council how much they are willing to subsidise, and then you can look realistically at what you can afford!:)

Mrs. Doyle

You say you are applying for a 'mortgage' under the 'Shared Ownership'. My understanding of Shared Ownership is that you get approved for X amount and if you find a dearer place, the council are able to put up the extra money (within reason) and you rent this part from them until you can pay them back.

The whole point of the scheme is to help people on a low to middle income afford their own place - this doesn't mean you have to live in a shed.

I know what you mean about the idea of the thread being fun (and it is fun to see what you get on the 'cheap' nowadays) but on a serious note, you shouldn't have to compromise your living conditions!!

My advice is to see what you get offered, ask the council how much they are willing to subsidise, and then you can look realistically at what you can afford!:)

Hi, now maybe my understanding of the scheme is flawed, but according to a letter they sent me recently, the maximum amount, to include savings if you have them, that the property can cost, can be no more then €275,000, no?

Without savings of your own, the maximum amount you will be approved for is €250,000.

I was just looking up houses and apartments that are based within the D.C.C region that fall under the €250 mark, and needless to say, some of them leave a lot to be desired! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    Hi, now maybe my understanding of the scheme is flawed, but according to a letter they sent me recently, the maximum amount, to include savings if you have them, that the property can cost, can be no more then €275,000, no?

Gosh! It appears MY understanding of it is flawed!!! That is low! I didnt realise they gave you a "max property price" figure.

However, I was reading the property pages over the weekend and there are some apartments that arent too bad that come within that price range! I was commenting that it was a long time since I'd seen anything nice under 300k advertised and yet there they were. See these:

http://www.daft.ie/112827
    http://www.daft.ie/115967

Of course you'd have to be prepared to live in a 1 bed apartment, which may not suit some.

Have you looked at the Affordable Housing route?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The first property has 8 pictures and NONE of them are actually of the apartment.

The second property has 5 pictures and ONE is of the apartment.

I have to wonder what kind of run down shoe boxes these places would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    Hey, as most of you know by now, I am applying for a mortgage through the Shared Ownership.
    Now when I am approved, no matter how much I am approved for, it wont be much in terms of today's going prices, and so lately, I have been spending all my time trawling through various property sites, looking for Dublin's Cheapest 'Livable' Property.

I have found 3 properties that I would consider to be livable. Each one requires a bit of work, but its do-able.

They are as follows:

http://www3.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=307549&np=&rt=search&searchlist=

http://www.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=309141&np=&rt=search&searchlist=

http://www.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=298123&np=&rt=search&searchlist=

You could get this on the SOS

massplanck wrote:
    www.daft.ie/115226

probabaly the cheapest 'liveable' property in dublin (ie has a toilet in it) @ 225,000.

I wonder what estates surround it though.:confused:

now even cheaper @215,000
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=215226&search=1

:o

this place has overtaken it though i reckon @ e199,950. www.daft.ie/118087

tune in next week to find out the new front runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

• Advertisement

Advertisement