Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate SG-1 End of an Era

Options
  • 13-03-2007 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

I sit here pondering the end of Stargate SG-1 tomorrow i ask fans take this last
    opportunity, commit to words your feelings at the end of one of the if not the Greatest Sci-Fi shows.

I can only hope it is not the end but the start of something unique the opportunity to see the Stargate and the new adventures that unfold.

Ten years many of us have watched this show for and for ten years its been a colossal piece of entertainment. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I have compiled a little Haiku in honour of the end of SG1.

"Jack is gone,
    Season 10 was Sh!te
    Why did it end this way"

[Teal'c]The end of an era indeed [/Teal'c]

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'll miss it and I've enjoyed tuning in for a period spanning over 1/3 of my life. I can still recall the first episode I saw ("A Matter of Time" - perhaps the most referenced episode of the entire seriesl, followed by S1's "Solitudes") and how I wanted to see more (S1 and S2 were on in parallel between Sky 1 and the then Network 2).

I recall the awe I felt at some episodes ("Forever in a Day" for example) and various emotions as characters came and went.

I remember doing my only ever fan-meet for this show, queuing up to meet Michael Shanks shortly after S5 finished airing here at Forbidden Planet.

I recall getting my first moderator post on boards with this forum, because I felt strongly enough about the show.
    I still feel a nerdy, geek pride in having my name on the main FAQ at Gateworld, inarguably the world's most popular (and best) InterWeb Stargate resource.

I'll acknowledge that the show's declined with some casting changes. Jack's wit, and particularly his interactions with Daniel, is sorely missed. Landry's not even fit to lick dog crap off of Hammond's boots and his daughter can never match Frasier.
    But I think Mitchell's not too bad and no, I don't hate Vala and think she's had real potential that's been realised at times, just not quite often enough.

I still like the stories - the mixture of action, drama, and humour. I still like the way the characters get on as friends. I think maybe the intelligent plotting isn't there as readily as it once was, but I also think that fans are a bit nostalgic in assessing the quality sometimes of previous seasons (and yes, I'm watching the original seasons alongside the newer ones).

I'm sad to see it go in a weekly format because it's been with me so long. I was a young idealistic student, just starting college when it first aired. I've since graduated, worked in a firm for three years, lost my job, moved out of home, moved a second time, got in another firm for years and fallen in love. Stargate's nearly been the only thing that's stayed alongside me all that time.

That all deserves a bit of acknowledgement for me. But I also feel I can let it go now. It's served its time and a few DVD movie releases might do it for me. It's got its siblings now as well in Atlantis and the, as yet untitled, third Stargate project. The family's grown, much like I have and I have the maturity to accept now, rather than lament.

So step through that portal, in its current form, for one last time and then let both of us travel on to our new, respective places in our lives.

Close the iris. FIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

At least it won't be gone for too long, not when they've two movies in production.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Stoppit ixoy... I'm getting misty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I'm not that disappointed that it is ending - don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the show, but the last 2 years have been very poor.

If it had ended at the fishing pond at the end of Season 8 I would have missed it more (at that time, of course).

The movies continue on SG1, and we will see Tapping in Atlantis (be it good or bad, I don't know) as well as a new Stargate series on the way so stargate, in some fashion, will live on.

Will it be classed as the best Sci-fi programme of all time??? IMO if it stopped at the end of season 8 it would have been the best ever - now I am not so sure :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

In many ways i'm glad it's over, Christ they really flung crap at us over this season, i mean it was just soooooo bad at stages.

however we will always have those memories......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As a whole I think it has been excellent. However the last couple of season it has outstayed its welcome with that "lets' keep going even though we've really no more stories to tell" that afflicts so many TV shows.
    I'd much rather it had gone out on a high , by the pond with no fish. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

For me what was great about it was the teamwork. A lot of "action" sci-fi stuff is pretty much just "lets all just run around shooting things".

Stargate was great in that it focused on each of the charachters having different places on the team. Non of them were infallible, I mean Jack was never going to be as smart as Sam. The interaction between them and the subtle nuances as they became solid friends was one of the best parts of the show.

The writers of Stargate also never took themselves too seriously, putting humour into the charachters, making them a lot more natural.

Like mentioned, 2 more films, another series, plus an MMORPG means that it wont be dieing out any time soon.

Its also amazing to think that it actually has been the longest lasting sci-fi series ever.

my 2 cents.
    Blowfish

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When I die, and I have that eternity moment right before I go braindead, theres probably going to be a fishless pond somewhere in that hallucination...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I'm kinda glad to see it go, it's kinda like a beloived pet thats gotten old, senile and has poor bladder control. It's best to put it out of it's misery.

Still, for a time it was a very good show, up untill about season 8, or so i'm told. I missed seasons 5-8 and i'm currently watching them now. The drop in quality from then to now is amazing. And to be honest, thats what i'll miss about SG1, but i've been missing that for 2 seasons, so i suppose i'm over it now ;)

still, i'll agree with ioxy, Mitchel and Vala aren't bad, they've just seem to have been caught out by the fact that the entire show has gone to the dogs.

Anyway as long as SGA continues to be decent, i'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

I've been watching SG-1 since the beginning and I still remember staying up till some ridiculous hour to tune into Network 2 to find if Apophis and Klorel would manage to take over the earth.

A big thing about the quality was always that the show didn't take itself too seriously, although it now seems to have gone too far and my main problem with the past few seasons is that it doesn't take itself seriously enough. Although maybe I've just grown synical with my old age.

As bad as this may seem I can honestly say that I am not bothered at all by the end of SG-1. It has become tired and I think Atlantis is the far better show these days. I felt a much greater regret when Enterprise was cancelled... probably because it marked the end of Star Trek as a whole. I will probably feel worse this time next year when we are all lamenting the (in my opinion) inevitable cancellation of Atlantis after season 4.

Anyway ,as far as sci-fi news goes, the cancellation of SG-1 is more than adequately made up for by the seeming rebirth of Babylon 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

The quality of Stargate SG-1 and the storylines has in my option always surpassed Atlantis even the current season. I look forward to seeing the future projects of the Stargate SG-1 family, Amanda Tapping (Sam Carter) in Atlantis and Sanctuary, Michael Shanks (Dr. Denial Jackson) in 24 (not that I watch 24), seeing Claudia Black (Vala) in The Dresden Files, Christopher Judge (Teal’c) in a one of episode of Atlantis.

All that is left to say is GOOD BYE STARGATE SG-1

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I will indeed sorely miss it. Firstly, because I now have nothing to come home to after study on a Tuesday (I have it recording right now).

It was a fantastic series and well deserves the title of being the longest running Sci-Fi show on television. The writers and producers were never afraid to think outside the box. The fact that they were never afraid to poke fun at themselves was a fantastic quality that I have never seen repeated in another show and probably never will. (The episode 200 had me rolling around on the floor, laughing with hysterics)

The show has been a focal point in my life and, corny as this may sound, it was allways there. I remember last year, my parents divorced and I was going through a pretty rough time, and Stargate was one of the few things that gave me a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

So, farewell to Stargate-SG1, it's been a crazy ride, a fun one, and at points a sad one. It shall be sorely missed...

Indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Indeed ...............

right so thats that, as one of the guys just pointed out,

a) that god for add breaks

b) it was like waiting for mass to end

c) here come the repeats

d) one of the jokes made during it were " the fingers you have used to select these chevrons are too fat ...."

All in all it was ok, but too little too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It was a fantastic series and well deserves the title of being the longest running Sci-Fi show on television.
    Lots of fans will be pouring out of the TARDIS to pull you up on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Doctor Who doest count just like Star Trek doesn't.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

ixoy wrote:
    I'll miss it, *and lots of other stuff Ioxy said*

Here, here!

I go to bed now, sleepy but hoping for wonderful movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Awwwwwwbringonthemovies! :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Frankly, I'd rather they didn't make any movies now to be honest. They're flogging a dead horse.

The movie should have come after the end of season 6. The moment has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

A special message from Amanda Tapping aka Sam Carter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cqGXPymUlM

P.S. Have a look at her official website as well, she is always been very aware of her fans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement