Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Termination of Training Contract

Options
  • 12-03-2007 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been working as a trainee accountant for 6 months now, but I'm unhappy where I work and wish to terminate my contract.

I read the terms of the contract and it has confused me somewhat.
    Point number 1 (viii) says that a student who terminates his contract before the expiry date should repay all fees the firm has covered.
    But then number 3(i) says that the first 12 months of the contract are a probationary period and it may be terminted with 14 days notice.

Can anyone shed light on this for me?
    I don't want to/can't repay this years course and exam fees, as they are quite hefty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Hi there, are you looking to completely leave the industry or change firms? I transferred my contract and while it wasn't easy, there are plenty of firms out there always looking for people. Your firm have to agree to the transfer though and that is where it can be difficult.

Should've said, I did manage to get my training contract transferred so if you've any questions then ask away here or PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

sorry, forgot to mention, I'm not looking for transfer, I'm actually thinking of going abroad, might do acca in future but i really just want to get out of my current job. Did you have to repay fees when you transferred?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Mine was not as clear cut as yours, was terribly complicated. They did look for them though, but didn't get them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Hi,

I've been working as a trainee accountant for 6 months now, but I'm unhappy where I work and wish to terminate my contract.

I read the terms of the contract and it has confused me somewhat.
    Point number 1 (viii) says that a student who terminates his contract before the expiry date should repay all fees the firm has covered.
    But then number 3(i) says that the first 12 months of the contract are a probationary period and it may be terminted with 14 days notice.

Can anyone shed light on this for me?
    I don't want to/can't repay this years course and exam fees, as they are quite hefty.

I would imagine that's so the firm can terminate your contract if they wish, and not vice versa!

no it says both parties can terminate, I just wonder if the repayment of fees still apply

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

I had a friend in a situation like this fees had been paid she was on a 6month probabtion and wanted out , in the end she had to pay the firm back everything they had forked out on for her , if it went to court Im not sure what would happen but I remember at the time the minute her employer mentioned solicitors she just paid back every penny worked her notice and left.

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    I had a friend in a situation like this fees had been paid she was on a 6month probabtion and wanted out , in the end she had to pay the firm back everything they had forked out on for her , if it went to court Im not sure what would happen but I remember at the time the minute her employer mentioned solicitors she just paid back every penny worked her notice and left.

Bugger

Advertisement