Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Dell Laptop Batteries?

Options
  • 12-03-2007 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

My Dell Inspiron's 9300 battery is almost dead, and I need to buy a new one. I preferably want a 9-cell one for longer charge. Dell's site is quoting a wallet-zapping €177, while sites such as this quote around €98, including shipping from the USA:

http://www.adapturl.com/laptop-dell-inspiron-9300/dell-9-cell-g5266-li-ion-battery-p26155.html

A few questions:

(1) I presume a battery from the US will be fine for a laptop purchased in Ireland?
    (2) Does anyone have any scare stories about buying Dell batteries from a third-party? Is there a reason they can offer what they claim are original Dell batteries at a much lower price than Dell?

Cheers,

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,156 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Yes US battery will be the same

Dell probably has a big markup on their batteries, wheather there any better, I don't know. I would guess you're just paying for the dell badge. A battery cell is a battery cell.

I would probably buy off ebay. As long as the seller has a good rating and the battery was being sold as new, preferably with some sort of warrenty. Buying from english or irish seller might also be a bit a good idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Chinese companies are manufacturing counterfeits of nearly all main brand laptop battries, see them all over Ebay. They are passed off as origional but when you get them you know soon enough, they dont look like the origional and they can be dangerous......remember the Sony recall???? You hardly think these bootleg manufacturers are going to do the same and the last thing you want is your laptop exploding!!!!

You best sticking to Dell or a reputable dealer and If you do buy from Ebay make sure you ask that its Genuine.
    Frank.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bradidup wrote:
    remember the Sony recall????
    And Nokia too. Both had GENUINE exploding batteries.

yeah South Eastern Asia can be well dodgy for counterfeit stuff - for some things it don't matter but mains voltage stuff and battery cells it's a safety issue - if the price seems too good to be true, before postage and packing stay away, and postage will be a killer too.

there are plenty of UK sites that sell this stuff too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Thanks; I was curious as AdaptURL says they are indeed genuine, branded, Dell batteries. "This is a New Dell Original Battery", he says, and the pictures shows a battery with a Dell logo. The site looks legit too, and googling their name doesn't throw up any disatisfied customers. I buy a fair bit on eBay, but I'd be a bit more wary of someone who's only presense is on eBay rather than a legit web site.

I was curious as to how they get legit Dell batteries; do Dell sell them to third-party merchants? If so, Dell's markup must be incredible,

Regards,

P.

Advertisement