Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'@' symbol not working on new Laptop

Options
  • 12-03-2007 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi, I have just bought a new Acer notebook and found out pretty smartly that the @ symbol does not seem to be associated with the correct key on the keyboard :( . Pressing 'shift' @ results in double quotes rather than @. Obviously this problem makes emailing a no-go.

The solution so far is to write the address in a word document and use the 'add symbol' function to drop in the @.

Can someone direct me to the right fix? I would be most appreciative.

thanks, Darren

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Check your Regional and Locale options in the Control Panel, make sure they are not set to the US rather than Ireland or the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Darren_NZ wrote:
    Hi, I have just bought a new Acer notebook and found out pretty smartly that the @ symbol does not seem to be associated with the correct key on the keyboard :( . Pressing 'shift' @ results in double quotes rather than @. Obviously this problem makes emailing a no-go.

The solution so far is to write the address in a word document and use the 'add symbol' function to drop in the @.

Can someone direct me to the right fix? I would be most appreciative.

thanks, Darren

You have your keyb configured to American! There shoul d be a small icon EN on the bottom right of yoy screen. Click on that and see if English (Ireland) is mentioned. If it is click on it!

Otherwis Select Start - Settings - Control Panel - Regional and Language Settings. Click on the language panel and select English (Ireland)

BTW the sign is simply Shift + 2 on the US layout>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭H3LLg0d

yes

and if it happens again

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Darren_NZ

thanks everyone - will try it out tonight.

Much appreciated.

Advertisement