Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable housing Drynam Avenue

Options
  • 12-03-2007 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Did snag list 7 weeks ago, still no word. I phoned fingal C C a few times but they say builders are slow. Anyone else in the same situation or in their house yet?? Going mad waiting!!! Was up there this morning and builders are working away. If anyone hears anything let me know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭underpants

having a similar problem. Waiting weeks for the builders to get back to us. then finally, got a call from the estate agent that the apartment was ready to check. So dropped around last weekend to discover that they had done about 4 or 5 things on a list of over 100!! Yet they had ticked off everything on their list as if it was done.
    Even some big things like a small hole in the corner in the storage room wasnt even done!! But it was ticked off their list. Still waiting since then to hear back again. Luckily we're in no rush to move in so we can hold out but I'm sure there's lots of people out there under pressure to move as soon as possible.
    I've heard plenty of stories of it taking months for the builders to get their act together and having to reinspect the property numerous times.
    Sadly there's nothing you can do about it except wait and then wait some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 long_boy

guys, I see you're both going through with the affordable option. I toyed around with the idea for a few months and eventually decided not to go for it.

My reasoning was that I don't intend to stay in an appt for 10+years and that's pretty much all that's available in Dublin - therefore I would have to sell the appt and pay the clawback - thereby gaining practically nothing from the scheme. I'm really interested to know what other people see as the benefit of the scheme, excpet in the case of people that are happy with a 2bed appt for the long term? PM me if you prefer, I just don't see the benefits but maybe I'm missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

long_boy - i am doing the affordable housing and i see it as a short term solution. i plan on selling up in 5 or so years.

I see where you are coming from and understand your reasons however i think there are benefits to doing the affordable housing.

I could always buy down in kildare or somewhere - its not that far.
    I am applying because i cannot afford a place in dublin. I am still young(relativley) so my social life is good. I want to maintain my social life in dublin for the time being.
    My alternative is to rent for the 5 or so years. lets say rent is 1000 per month. thats 12k per year about 60k money gone as far as im concerned.

If i get an affordable place then i wont waste that 60k.
    I can sell the property and then use that money as an investment for the next house.

So i have to pay the clawback. But its just like me buying a place 50/50 with my friend and then him getting his share when we sell up - no major gain.

Thats my thoughts. what do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Charlies Angel

yes, I am doing it as I cant afford to buy a property any other way...you will always gain something out of it I reckon, even if you only stay 5 yrs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Charlies Angel

ladt t - any word on your snag yet? Was there much on the list...I had 3 things on my list!!! all done now and moving in at the mo...my snag took place on 15th feb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Hey Im also doing the Affordable option and I got a 3 bedroom house on a new development in Dublin and Im single with no children, cant believe my luck, so I say go for it. Its the luck of the draw you may get an apartment or you may get a house:)

that just pisses me off - no offence texas star and if i was you i would go for it. But its me my partner and child applying. we would love a house, or anything with a back garden for a kid to play in. I dont see why they cannot give people what suit there needs. as in why do they give single people a 3 bed over a family? we are pretty much gauranteed a 2 bed appt - which we are happy with. but would obviously love a house. not a chance tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

It's an Affordable Housing scheme, it (quite correctly im my opinion) pays no regard to your social situation. Your offered property purely on what you can afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ladt_t

ladt t - any word on your snag yet? Was there much on the list...I had 3 things on my list!!! all done now and moving in at the mo...my snag took place on 15th feb

Done my snag last week in january, 6 small things on the list.... still no word.
    was up last week to have a look, all seemed to have moved in, bar me and my next door neighbour. i was number 38 out of 40 on the list, does it work through the list from number 1 - 40 or am i just the most unlucky person in the world?????

well actually youre wrong there podge - it does pay regard to your social situation in a lot of the councils. ie south dublin county council. kildare county council(the only ones i know about) BOTH pay regard to it. IE if more than 2 apply then its a 2 bed min. But if a sinle person applys - they MAY get offered a 1 bed.
    So you are trying to say. If its a family of 4 applying for the affordable housing. then its ok to offer them a 1 bed. Social Situation is vital - and pretty obviosly should be taken into account.

• Advertisement

Hey Waerrenaldo no offence taken, I completely understand. I was told by Dublin City Council thats its a draw for the houses/apartments. I thinks its the fairest way to do it so everyone has a chance.As for living in an apartment I would off been happy living in a cardboard box. I just wanted a home of my own.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You'll find warrenaldo that it depends on affordability rather than your social situation.
    Ask yourself why they never offered you a 3bed but a 2bed, i bet its how much you can pay for!
    Half the appicants for DCC for example are not offered anything because they can't afford it, the 50% discount in price applies everywhere in each council unless you earn more for the Initiative, you wont get a place any cheaper because of your needs.
    And yes its wrong but the council want their maximum return financially as well.
    I do know that SDCC do not offer 1beds to single people as a majority policy but rather 2beds as they are 'looking ahead' at peoples situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

I can understand the aggravation at hearing that a single person is living in a 3 bed house when a family get an apartment, but it seems to be the luck of where you are on the list / where you come in the draw/ how much you can afford etc etc. Some councils do take the single / family thing into account, some don't. They all seem to conduct their business differently...having said that, you'd want to be prepared to live in an affordable house for a number of years, and who's to say that a single person won't meet someone, get married and have 2 kids in the space of 5 years!!

That's great news CA!!! Do you mind me asking how long it took between the time they rang you back to say all was sorted and closing??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

warrenaldo wrote:
    well actually youre wrong there podge - it does pay regard to your social situation in a lot of the councils. ie south dublin county council. kildare county council(the only ones i know about) BOTH pay regard to it. IE if more than 2 apply then its a 2 bed min. But if a sinle person applys - they MAY get offered a 1 bed.
    So you are trying to say. If its a family of 4 applying for the affordable housing. then its ok to offer them a 1 bed. Social Situation is vital - and pretty obviosly should be taken into account.

Can't speak for all the councils, but with Fingal it goes on what you can afford.

Obviously a family of 4 wouldn't tick the apartment box and then would never get offered it. But likewise, if a family of four can't afford a 3-bed house, neither would they be offered that.

i can only speak of SDCC - because there was 3 of us appying as a family - they put us on as min 2 bed (ie we cannot get offered a 1 bed). but my friend applied as single person and he is told that he may be offered a 1 bed.
    Obviosly it will depend on affordability also - but social situation is definetly accounted for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fredzer

texas star wrote:
    Hey Waerrenaldo no offence taken, I completely understand. I was told by Dublin City Council thats its a draw for the houses/apartments. I thinks its the fairest way to do it so everyone has a chance.As for living in an apartment I would off been happy living in a cardboard box. I just wanted a home of my own.:)

Does anyone know how this scheme really works? Is it a waiting list or a draw? The Council will not tell you where you are on the list so who knows?:confused:

Fredzer

differet things - depends which council. im am on SDCC - they have a list - and work through the list. But then they also have draws - and anybody is free to enter the draws.
    Now dont ask why they dont give the houses from the draw to people on the list - makes no sense if you ask me. But thats whe way they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you mean Drynam Avenue?

Well when I applied which was 2 yrs ago I was told they do draws, thats DCC. Thats why they send you out information/news update-projects up and coming developments every few months and you pick out your prefence as to were you want to live. Hope this helps.:)

Victor wrote:
    Do you mean Drynam Avenue?

Yeah I mean Drynam Avenue, just spotted my spelling mistake, Sorry!!

• Advertisement

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! 13weeks and 2 days after i did my snag list I finally got word. I rechecked snag on thursday and am closing this thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

That's great news ladt_t! Congrats! It's great to know that the closing happens so quickly after the 2nd snag, that was something that I was curious about...

Was everything on your snaglist completed? Did you have much?

I had only 6 items but one of them was a gas leak!!! the rest were small. Moved in and all!!! thank god its all finally over....... or just starting really!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

Thats great news congrats on moving into your new house.:) How long is it since you got your approval and how long after your interview were you approved? I had my interview almost a month ago so hoping to hear very soon

Advertisement