Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony vs Panny 32" LCD

Options
  • 12-03-2007 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi Folks,

I've looked through a lot of posts on the Forum and I'm torn between buying at 32" LCD made by Panasonic (TX-32LX60) and one made by Sony (KDL-32S2530).

I'm a bit of a newbie at this so forgive my ignorance but is there any real difference between them?

As I would see it, the advantage of the Sony would be that I could hook my laptop up to it which I don't think I could do with the Panasonic (Big Quicktime movie Trailer fan here!). But the Panasonic is a bit cheaper in the shops I've checked (DID, Alliance Electrical).

A further issue, is that someone suggested to me that both are sort of "end of life" models and that Panasonic are bringing out a new range this month and that if your going for a Sony the "V" range is much better than the "S" range. Any truth to this? I'd rather spend €1,500 on something which is up to date than €1,000 which is going out of date!

Finally, would anyone recommend a particular online store they found good (I've had bad experiences in the past)?

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Pyat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 pyat

Can anyone give me a hand here?

Planning on buying over the weekend... Sony is over €200 cheaper on Komplett.ie...

Again, apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere...

Cheers

Pyat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

the sony one (S2530) is the latest sony S series, only released about a month ago. the V series is better than the S series but it is more expensive! it has the same connectivity but also has better picture.

panasonic will be releasing new lcds in may, so prob june before we get them. the cheapest 32" model will be about E1000 and then a better one for E1500.

you can connect a computer to the panasonic through a few adapters tho! buy a vga to dvi adapter, the use a dvi-hdmi cable and you're sorted!

either one is great but if i was buying, i'd go for the panasonic, better picture than the sony V series but cheaper than the S series.

moe

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

I know you're only looking at LCD at the mo, however the new Panasonic plasma TH37PV70 set due for release in a couple of weeks, 37" tv, should be priced from €1350 - €1500.

worth consideration?

Thanks guys,

That Plasma sounds good, very good in fact, but I think 32" is a big as I want to go given the size of the room I'll be putting the telly in...

Big moe, I asked in a few shops about buying those adapters and they said it won't work as VGA is analogue and HDMI is digital...they we're sure if this meant I'd get no signal or just an analogue one...the latter wouldn't bother me as I know my lappy isn't top of the range in any case...

Thanks again,

Pyat

i've never tried it myself but it should work. i've use vga to dvi (which is analogue to digital) without any hassle so another cable shouldnt make a difference.. i have a dvi-hdmi and it works grand but i dont have a vga-dvi myself so i cant try it fully..

moe

• Advertisement

Thanks Big Moe, what about s-video?

My laptop has an s-video output and the panasonic seems to have an s-video input, would that work?

Cheers,

Pyat

yeah s-vid would be grand for watchin videos but its not good enough for text or anything like that so no internet!

moe

Thanks Big Moe, that could work for me, however I might just wait for the 70 series Panny's to come out which seem to have a PC input...

Cheers,

Pyat

Advertisement