Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stravinsky recommendations?

Options
  • 11-03-2007 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Of late, I've become quite interested in Stravinsky's works. I have more than one version of "The Rite of Spring" and am a huge fan of it. However, I'd like to have more than just one of his works in my collection so I'm wondering about which of his compositions I should look into next. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The Firebird is pretty good, although its not quite as hell-for-leather as the Rite of Spring ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The Symphonies of Wind Instruments and Circus Polka are relatively short and just as enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Firebird and S. for Wind Instruments can be found here, if you wish to try before you buy:

http://www.classiccat.net/stravinsky_i/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Meldince

I have to say, I'm quite the fan of the Symphony of Psalms myself; it's different to RoS or Firebird, but certainly just as accessible. That's one of the big things about Stravinsky; he was completely eclectic, not following any particular trend or style of composing, neither Russian nor European, neither tonal nor atonal, and yet he did all of these things at some point (and he had a sense of humour too-have a listen to his 'Happy borthday' fanfare!), just doing his own thing; which means you don't know if you're going to like a new piece of his until you actually listen to it...

Advertisement