Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new laptop.

Options
  • 11-03-2007 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Looking for a little help in picking a new laptop for my cousin i've shortened it down to these two this Acer or this Siemens

He's an engineering student and will be running CAD on it. I''m thinking the Acer would be his best option as it's a dual processor.
    Which one would you suggest.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

They both look good but the Siemens one has a dedicated graphics card aswell which would good for running CAD. Oh yeah the the Siemens laptop is dualcore as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

both have a dual processor, only difference is one's intel and one's AMD.

intel chips are known be have a better battery life as they use slightly less power than amd chips.

i don't know the specific requirements for autocad but it seems fairly choppy on my brother's dell with 1gig of ram, maybe it's something to look at.

with the acer this is what worries me:
    Graphics: Integrated Graphics supporting 256MB

that will use system ram for graphics card ram, so if you run it at max you'll only have 748mb of system ram. although this is not entirely worrying if the system is well maintained, i'd be just wary on how CAD would preform on it.

other than that the laptops are fairly similar. be sure to get him a mouse too, my brother is always robbing my mouse and mouse pad to use whilst he's designing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Oh yeah If i opt for the Acer i'm planning on adding an extra Gig of Ram. budget doesn't allow for an extra gig for the Siemens.

Advertisement