Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "bay window" VW is alive and well

Options
  • 11-03-2007 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

in Brazil !

And, if my non-existant Portuguese isn't letting me down, available with a 1.4 flexi fuel (ethanol/petrol) engine.

Can we get them into Ireland please ?

kombi_home.jpg

See here http://www.vw.com.br/default.asp and select "Kombi" from the menue on the left.

kombi_800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,394 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Love those old things. imagine that with an 07 reg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Danbury will sell you one, RHD and converted to camper spec:
    Danbury Rio

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That Danbury conversion looks quite nice ...the price on the other hand :rolleyes:
    Add VRT and VAT to that and you'll be over 40k euro :eek:

You could get a nice motorhome for that money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I think that it is for the Jamie Olivers of this world.

While the Type2 is a lovely vehicle with bags of charm, its size makes it impractical as a camper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

While the Type2 is a lovely vehicle with bags of charm, its size makes it impractical as a camper.

It depends how many there are of you. If it's only for a couple, then a Bay is fine for a fortnight's break. But for a family or a longer trip, you need a bigger van or an awning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

To be honest, if money were no object, I would love one.

I reckon it is a lot easier to drive than my Transit which feels like driving a ship in a storm. Visibility would be great too.

But if I were to spend that sort of money on a camper, I would expect some form of bathroom facilities and more than two berths.

I think that people who buy them do so because of their charm as a vehicle rather than their suitability as a camper. And they are right to do so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

We have a '78 bay window camper - would never like to have to part with it - 4 berth and with the addition of an awning to pitch while camping we have bages of space - have to do with a portaloo though:) yeah, a small shower would be great but you can't have everything -

it is classed as a car for ferry travel:) cheaper prices:D

I can drive into multi-storey carparks even with a roof rack on:D

And all folk just seem to smile when they see it - 'tis a great way to unwind from the daily stress of 9 - 5.....drive your camper to work!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Franner

I'm looking for a vw camper if anybody has one for sale :)

you would need to check out a few clubs and forums dedicated to classic VW's and aircooled stuff

www.eircooled.com

www.nboc.org.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

There was a 05 D reg around Northwood yesterday promoting some phone 118 thingy..... need less to say I was more interested in the VW

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Wouldnt say that, I drove around OZ in a 67 combi back in 1992 no probs. theres still heaps of
    T2s, mostly bays out there used by backpackers and they are not cheap.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Franner wrote:
    I'm looking for a vw camper if anybody has one for sale :)

Hey Franner,
    Check out T2i @ www.type2ireland.org You'll find some for sale on the forums. A great hangout for anyone with an interest in VW campers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Stimpyone wrote:
    There was a 05 D reg around Northwood yesterday promoting some phone 118 thingy..... need less to say I was more interested in the VW

It's actually an 06 D reg one. There is a photo of it in the classic cars forum:

23022007095qo1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Judging by the (non original) roof shape this has to be a "Brazilian".
    And going by the blanked out side windows it must have been brought in as a commercial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I would LOVE one of these bay window jobbies. Are they still reasonable, or has the retro-chic thing ruined that?

they are terribly fashionable at the moment and used so much on TV in ads and programmes:) ours was used for a fashion feature in KISS magazine last month...

However, there are plenty of them about - there are some clubs and forums dedicated to them and other aircooled VW stuff like beetles, ghias etc

www.eircooled.com

www.nboc.org.uk

you would probably pay about 8k Euro for a bay window camper ready to go or a lot less for a project

the earlier splitscreen type go for a lot more than that - more than double:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Pity they couldnt re manufacture the split in the same way, I believe most of the dies & tooling for pressing the sheet metal are still in existance, http://www.ahschofield.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

Parents used to have a T2 full length diagonal pop top. We travelled around France for a month (1989). Only broke down once. I'll never forgive them for selling it.

folkswagen: What sort of fuel ecconmy do you get? You running an Air Cooled 1.6?

between 22 and 25 miles per gallon:D

We usually know about how many miles we get out of a tank - we have to judge when to fill up again - the fuel gauge works but I wouldn't like to depend on it:)

It runs strong and has taken us all over Ireland, to the UK several times a year, we went to France last year in it...can't say enough for it really:D

Advertisement