Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using the RJ45 outlet on a mac laptop to connect to a dial-up internet connection

Options
  • 11-03-2007 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

I have a mac laptop with a single rj45 connection. At work I have wireless broadband so no problem. I dont have BB at home- only dial-up so I wonder if I can connect it up using a RJ45 to rj11 adaptor to the modem?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I wouldn't think so. The rj-11 is for analogue telephones, the rj-45 is for digital LANs.

Your best bet would be an external USB modem, I would imagine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The rest of the Planet has Broadband or at least ISDN so there is very little hardware, I've seen a router which has a parallel and serial port, no idea if you could fit a modem on the serial port , lots of wires and messy setup

USB would sound like the way to go
    pcmcia modem ?

RJ45, network - 4 (8 for gigabit ) wires, voltage a lot less than 5 volts
    RJ11 phone - 2 wires used, voltage up to 50 Volts - if you could cross wire this to the network card, it would not do it a power of good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ircoha wrote:
    I have a mac laptop with a single rj45 connection. At work I have wireless broadband so no problem. I dont have BB at home- only dial-up so I wonder if I can connect it up using a RJ45 to rj11 adaptor to the modem?

Thanks for any help.

If this is a recent mac laptop then you are suffering from Apple's decision not to include a dial up modem anymore - this may be your answer - http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/irlstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E07A&nplm=MA034

Advertisement