Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPP IO Super Sat - Sunday 11th

Options
  • 11-03-2007 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

Got a crummy token :D from PPP for a sub-sat into the above and won the $320 seat. Hate the software but might just change my views if I luck box my way to the ME. Anyone else in Sunday's qualifer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭5pin5

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭30something

What's your sn on iPoker?

Cant get going here, won 2 hands on blinds, 8/2 off and J 2 off

Hlaf the field almost gone and I've just got back to starting stack

I think I'm talking to myself but it's keeping me sane ... just got up to avg stack :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I'm going well or ok anyway, on 5,6k

JJ no good v AK down to 1200 :eek:

Got outkicked when I pushed a J high flop ... good luck Ollie

Got outkicked when I pushed a J high flop ... good luck Ollie

ok mate, down to 3.6k now and very card dead, but will keep trying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭The Ace Face

still in this..6.6k.....gl Mr Boyce..

Ray

just gone..raised with AJ..called by BB....A high flop I go allin...he calls with AQ!!!!!!!!

3 hours for nothing.

• Advertisement

I'm gone ray, got out drawn by AQ against my AK, thats the old tribece for you...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Well bugger me with a pitchfork, from a $6 buy in last Tuesday on ppp's new ipoker site which i hated but now love, went all in with KJ against someone who i thought was trying to steal my blind, and showdown against AQ and A 10 trebled up with the lucky Jack, won through to Friday night's $40 buy in looked to be going out when down to 137.50 ave stack 5000 went all in with J 5 trebled up and went on to qualify for tonight and well had a bit of luck but played fairly well and am now in the main event package worth $6900. I've been playing this game for 18 months read the books thought I was unlucky not getting anywhere and here I am in the ppp Irish Open, so for the low stakes players if you play sensibly stick with it you might get there in the end.
    By the way I get nervous playing the local pub games so any advice with nerves would be much appreciated.
    Oh and thanks for all the advice received on this site.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Well done Pat, congrats on the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Great stuff pat, congrats on the ticket

Thanks for the support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Sparky1808

Congrats Pat, love to hear people winning packages for only a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well Done!! Great Result!!

As for being nervous on the day of the tourney, you should have less nerves than anyone else there!! You have gotten in for a nominal fee relative to the prizepool, and can play with virtually no pressure on your shoulders. No - one will know you are or how you play.

Just turn up, enjoy the experience and give it a rattle.

Best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

patmac wrote:
    Well bugger me with a pitchfork...By the way I get nervous playing the local pub games so any advice with nerves would be much appreciated...

Congrats Pat

play it like a freeroll, don't even consider the money :eek: If you feel under pressure with the size of the tourney, you'll play like sh*t. So just try and enjoy yourself and don't be afraid to get your chips in the middle!!

besta luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

welldone Pat.
    great result and hope you do well in the IO.
    you dont by any chance know Cormac O'Connor do you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

If there are 350 runners in the tournament you do not have to beat every player in the game. Just concentrate on your table, and each table that you get moved to. If someone mentions the prize structure just switch off. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint, no need to get tricky early on (remind me of that when im gone by level 2:p )

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭The Ace Face

Pat,

I won my ticket last year and had never even played live!

Try and play a deep stack live tournie if you can...S/E or JPs etc

For the event I played like a rock...only played premium cards...watched and learned so much from players around me...I scrapped into the money over two days...it was a great experience..

Really want to play in it again..but 3.5k is steep!

All the best, hope you really enjoy it.

Ray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Solksjaer

WD on your ticket, about yer nerves...BOOO!

seriously though,the feelings of anxiety , shortness of breath , dry mouth, clamy hands, that accompany nerves can be controlled to an large extent by simple breathing excercises. Try to remember they are only signs that your body is gearing up to perform . (nervous people don't get complacent you know)

my other half is a management training consultant and deals with people strugglling with nerves in public speaking and the like. I'll ask her about some techniques for you if you like. You can also find some techniques on breathing and visualisation on the net, remember nerves are not a bad thing, it's important you recognise that and welcome the fact that your natural instinct to perform are working fine. It's when we stifle those feelings instead of harnessng them that we create the inner conflict.

Keep those nerves coming they are kickstarting the show for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

patmac wrote:
    By the way I get nervous playing the local pub games so any advice with nerves would be much appreciated.
    Oh and thanks for all the advice received on this site.
    I used to get very nervous, even at smallish tournaments, and when I haven't played in a while or there is someone whose game I respect is at my table I sometimes still get nervous. Usually after half an hour this nervous feeling passes.

First thing you need to realise is you don't need to do anything. You don't need to rob the blinds, you don't need to bluff, you don't need to win a pot! With the slow structure there is very little you need to do for the first few hours except sit there... and actually, you don't even need to do that. GO for a walk, get a drink, go for a smoke. Just try to enjoy it and once you are used to the new surroundings, and the time feels right, win your first pot!

Solksjaer wrote:
    WD on your ticket, about yer nerves...BOOO!

seriously though,the feelings of anxiety , shortness of breath , dry mouth, clamy hands, that accompany nerves can be controlled to an large extent by simple breathing excercises. Try to remember they are only signs that your body is gearing up to perform . (nervous people don't get complacent you know)

my other half is a management training consultant and deals with people strugglling with nerves in public speaking and the like. I'll ask her about some techniques for you if you like. You can also find some techniques on breathing and visualisation on the net, remember nerves are not a bad thing, it's important you recognise that and welcome the fact that your natural instinct to perform are working fine. It's when we stifle those feelings instead of harnessng them that we create the inner conflict.

Keep those nerves coming they are kickstarting the show for you.
    Great replies lads I wouldn't recommend my preparation yesterday. I had a feeling since I qualified for the super satellite that I could make it so I had four pints yesterday afternoon then a sleep then the tourney started and the nerves kicked in (and then out if you get my drift), but it helped me stay focused and in the end my nerve held.
    Just to let you know that there was six places up for grabs, with 7-20 getting 320 buy ins for next week. I got to the final table in fifth place with approx 23,000 chips out of a total 306,000, blinds were 600-1200 guy to my left was chip leader with 43,000 and was unbelievably first out (he should have gone to bed) we were down to seven with three of us on 13000 chips approx blinds 1200-2400 when short stack small blind goes all in on and is called by big blind also around 13k his K6 is beaten by A8, cue massive celebrations in the PATMAC household which ended at 3.30am and back to work today still buzzing on adrenalin.
    Hasn't sank in yet but I'm just gonna go up there and enjoy the event take it all in. I presumme PPP will be putting me up as the package was worth $6900 dollars approx €5200 and flights from Ballinasloe aren't that expensive, looking forward to the few pints with other boardsters who I hope will qualify.
    Ta Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Iceman78

Congrats Pat, best of luck in the IO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭kakak1

well done Pat, great result.

It is a great experience to play in one of the Big Ones, especially for a small entry fee.

The best advice was in my opinion offered by OCALLAGH. This tournament is a marathon not a sprint. Do nothing except watch for the first 2 blind levels (2hours) and only play the very premium hands until you get a feel for the table & your surroundings. Watch how the other players do it.

Always try to keep to the average chips which will be posted on the big screens. Try not to get all your chips in unless you know you are ahead, this obviously becomes more difficult the deeper you go in the event & will become impossible later on when you will have to take a few chances & hope lady luck is with you.

Anyway enjoy the experience.

Gholimoli wrote:
    welldone Pat.
    great result and hope you do well in the IO.
    you dont by any chance know Cormac O'Connor do you ?
    Thanks no sorry I don't know him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭carrigeen

Well done pat great result:D

Nialls advice is spot on , im the same as him I still can get nervous in tournys especially at the start , i remember on day 2 in ept getting a fit of the shakes :rolleyes: (may have been alcohol related though)

take his advice no need to make early moves and you'll be fine

well done again

• Advertisement

carrigeen wrote:
    Well done pat great result:D

Nialls advice is spot on , im the same as him I still can get nervous in tournys especially at the start , i remember on day 2 in ept getting a fit of the shakes :rolleyes: (may have been alcohol related though)

take his advice no need to make early moves and you'll be fine

well done again
    Thanks, so there was alcohol on Good Friday last year then:D

Advertisement