Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table Legs - can I make them longer

Options
  • 10-03-2007 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

We ordered a matching table and chairs recently. Now I knew it at the time that there wasn't a huge amount of room to get my legs in underneath but now that it's arrived it's a little bit worse than i thought (ie I can get them in under the table but they are sort of jammed).

I was wondering if it were possible to get some sort of screw in extensions that might add an inch or so?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brian

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Fairly simple straight forward process to turn the extensions for the bottom of your table legs, for any of the turners here. You could opt for an antique type brass castor, if you want get really fancy.

So question is.....which member of our illustrious group is nearest to you, and up for it.....if you go for the turning. Colour matching may be tricky though.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 28,142 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Take a quarter inch off the chairs and put screw in plastic domes (I think they have them in Homebase) which would give you a quarter inch. An inch is a lot to put on the table, it would feel as though it was under your chin, half an inch would probably be enough. Find four half-inch books and put them under the legs to see if it would be enough of a lift. I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to do anything though, its surprising how strange new furniture feels and how quickly you get used to it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

looksee wrote:
    its surprising how strange new furniture feels and how quickly you get used to it.:)

It's funny but I was thinking about this last night as I didn't notice it eating dinner last night (I was ravenous though!). I might have been a bit oversensitive as we are having visitors this weekend.

I will try and raise it by maybe 0.5" to 0.75". I did put books under the legs as you said and I felt it was better.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Brian

Advertisement