Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food!

Options
  • 10-03-2007 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I smoked my last cigarette ever on tuesday and I am doing really well. (one craving a day now after dinner.. and I just laugh it off!).

I am starting to eat crap though.For instance i woke in the middle of the night last night and found myself eating a fecking twix at 5 in the morning at the end of my bed :rolleyes:

I never used to eat chocolate at all but I suppose i bought the bag of twixs as a little treat for being so good.:p
    I am just wondering is this increase in 'eating crap' going to be a permanent thing? Or is it just a side effect? I will counteract it with excercise but although i used to smoke I was proud of the fact that i never ate any junk food at all.. no crips/fizzy drinks/sweets/chocolate/chips etc.

Now i think i'm turning into a twix lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Nicotine is an appetite suppressant so when you come off it you are bound to feel hunger Alot more, I have noticed it since giving up the fags, I haven’t eaten breakfast in years simply because I was never hungry for it infact I would often skip lunch meaning that dinner would be my first meal of the day, which to be honest is not good or healthy I knew that at the time but if i’m not hungry I won’t eat.

I have breakfast every day now because i’m hungry when I get up and by the time lunch comes around i’m hungry again. Strangely enough although i’m eating more or rather eating properly i’ve actually lost a little weight. Funny how things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Try chewing gum, Airwaves worked for me,stopped me eating crap.Worked for a couple of other smokers I know aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭massplanck

:eek:

i never skipped breakfast and i had a big appetite even when i was smoking.
    I suppose ill let myself go this week as its week one. But next week i'm gonna have to come up with a regular food plan or something. I'm pretty slim and dont wanna turn into a pot bellied version of myself.

excercise is the key. i'm walking for 1hr a day now. i might take up something a bit more physical in a few weeks time once my fitness levels get better

PS: My chest has returned to a sort of pre-giving up the fags state. The gunk is starting to come up & i'm coughing alot. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭massplanck

shockwave wrote:
    Try chewing gum, Airwaves worked for me,stopped me eating crap.Worked for a couple of other smokers I know aswell.

will do.

Airwaves will help with the old recovery-lungs-mucus symptoms too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I found myself eating all kinds of rubbish that I had no time for before when I first quit, I think because I was using food (any food!) to dampen cravings.

To be honest it did take me a few months to get my eating habits back to normal and I did gain a few pounds (I decided not to be too hard on myself though as I was just pleased not to be smoking any more). These days I'm eating regular meals with much less snacking and I'm trying to get some sort of exercise plan together to help my get back to the size I was as I've been a bit lazy for the last year. I do think the weird food phase will pass and if you keep a decent level of exercise up (unlike me!) you won't gain weight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

massplanck wrote:
    I smoked my last cigarette ever on tuesday and I am doing really well. (one craving a day now after dinner.. and I just laugh it off!).

I am starting to eat crap though.
    I never used to eat chocolate at all but I suppose i bought the bag of twixs as a little treat for being so good.:p
    I am just wondering is this increase in 'eating crap' going to be a permanent thing? Or is it just a side effect? I will counteract it with excercise but although i used to smoke I was proud of the fact that i never ate any junk food at all.. no crips/fizzy drinks/sweets/chocolate/chips etc.

Now i think i'm turning into a twix lol

Its pretty simple really,dont buy crap and then you wont eat it.A bag of twix's isnt exactly a little treat;) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nan

massplanck wrote:
    ...I never used to eat chocolate at all but I suppose i bought the bag of twixs as a little treat for being so good.:p
    ....although i used to smoke I was proud of the fact that i never ate any junk food at all.. no crips/fizzy drinks/sweets/chocolate/chips etc.

Right! In fact, chocolate used to make me feel sick. Now, instead of a melon or some other exotic fruits which have always made my mouth water, I find myself looking lovingly at milk-chocolate :eek: Easter Bunnies.

I don't want to get fat, so I simply don't bring it home, and since I'm not going to sit on a bench in the medieval town square with an unwrapped, half -eaten milk-chocolate Easter Bunny in my lab, I can limit the damage.

Here's to staying Twix-free;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DrFunkenstein

try popcorn, tis nice to snack on, also gives ye that hand to mouth thing that is missing not smoking

I stopped smoking there on wed.. 3 days and 10mins ago to be exact.. :) believe me i've been keepin count.. but i've been snacking on health foods, like a seed mix from holland and barret.. wicked stuff.. an its tasty too.. I dont really give a damn about puttin on a lil weight... but that wont happen with this stuffski.

I got teh mix with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seed, hemp seed and linseed...

cold turkey sucks!

Advertisement