Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ref

Options
  • 09-03-2007 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

Whos the best referee at international level?

Alain Rolland and Chris White for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Both good refs.

Every ref has his good and bad games, some have more bad than good (Chanleng, for example).

I really like Tony Spreadbury, who is a very chatty ref and injects some humour into the whole thing.

Paddy O'Brien was a superb ref until he took the desk job for IRB.

Derek Bevan was good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

I find Spreadbury a bit of a clown.

Another vote for Chris White. Joel Jutge is a goof ref as well. Despite his twattish nature, Steve Walsh isn't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

daveirl wrote:
    Yeah, you'd wonder if he thinks he's the person people are paying to see sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Jilm wrote:
    Steve Walsh isn't bad.

Think Steve Walsh is terrible. Loves the sound of his own voice. Fair enough he missed a few incidents, like every ref does but he seems to let high tackles and dangerous stamping go. Also there was that incident of the "verbal clash" with Shane Horgan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Cant stand tony spreadbury, really really gets on my tits when he's doing a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Alan Lewis anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You might want to edit chris white. Terrible reffing from him today. Unreal.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

agreed, he was shocking!

What happened? Heard something about him calling full time after giving wales one last play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i don't think there is one consistently good ref. I've witnessed all the one who i've seen have good games have absolute shockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 oasisfan

hmmmmmm Chris White in my opinion has always been a dodgy reff! yes he does have his good games and bad games but his bad ones are more occurring and some decisions he makes are ridiculous, prime example of that was today where he told welsh centre James Hook that he had enough time to go for touch if he did it quickly which he did he then got word from the official time keeper that it was over! So he blew the Final whistle! what was he thinking you can hear him on the t.v saying to JHook that he has time and he cannot go back on his word it was a decision that will deffo be taken up further with the IRB and he will have a rough time ahead of him...Gareth Thomas certainly made it clear that he was not at all happy... But this is not the only time he has made a mess of matches, in 2001 London Irish were playing Leicester tigers who both wear a shad of green jersey Chris White was reff for the game and an hour and a half before kick off he announces that he wants one of the teams to change jerseys but neither side had away kits so they resolved it by Leicester turning their jerseys inside out....was very comical but something that would have been solved if Chris White had done his job properly and informed the teams a few days in advance that they would have to wear different jerseys as he would find it hard to differ the sides.

Finally in 2005 when We played Wales in the Millennium Stadium he was reff and missed foul play and behaviour from certain Irish players that angered the coaching staff and the fans!

So i do not rate him as a good reff let alone THE BEST! In my opinion the best reff of all time is Paddy O'Brien!

oasisfan wrote:
    hmmmmmm Chris White in my opinion has always been a dodgy reff! yes he does have his good games and bad games but his bad ones are more occurring and some decisions he makes are ridiculous, prime example of that was today where he told welsh centre James Hook that he had enough time to go for touch if he did it quickly which he did he then got word from the official time keeper that it was over! So he blew the Final whistle! what was he thinking you can hear him on the t.v saying to JHook that he has time and he cannot go back on his word it was a decision that will deffo be taken up further with the IRB and he will have a rough time ahead of him...Gareth Thomas certainly made it clear that he was not at all happy... But this is not the only time he has made a mess of matches, in 2001 London Irish were playing Leicester tigers who both wear a shad of green jersey Chris White was reff for the game and an hour and a half before kick off he announces that he wants one of the teams to change jerseys but neither side had away kits so they resolved it by Leicester turning their jerseys inside out....was very comical but something that would have been solved if Chris White had done his job properly and informed the teams a few days in advance that they would have to wear different jerseys as he would find it hard to differ the sides.

Finally in 2005 when We played Wales in the Millennium Stadium he was reff and missed foul play and behaviour from certain Irish players that angered the coaching staff and the fans!

So i do not rate him as a good reff let alone THE BEST
    Well I mean we can list refereeing errors till the cows come home but the bottom line is you're not dealing with robots so human error is always going to be part of the game(tho it can be frustrating when decisions go against you).

Generally speaking I think its fair to say they do a good job. The fact is they're an easy target for a lambasting after a match and thats the way it'll always be I suspect.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

oasisfan wrote:
    ...he told welsh centre James Hook that he had enough time to go for touch...

...but he (Chris White) did not say whether there would be enough time for a line-out, nor did anyone ask him if there would be time for said line-out!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Marshy wrote:
    Well I mean we can list refereeing errors till the cows come home but the bottom line is you're not dealing with robots so human error is always going to be part of the game(tho it can be frustrating when decisions go against you).

Generally speaking I think its fair to say they do a good job. The fact is they're an easy target for a lambasting after a match and thats the way it'll always be I suspect.

ah yeah i agree he has also had great matches, but i was saying that he makes desicions at times that are so badly judged.. and your right refs are targets and their only human and i do feel for them cause they get it rough! was funny tho with him blowin it up 2day imagine that situation in croke park ireland england same score etc.... and ref blew it ooooooh it wud be very funny to see everybody loose the plot!

Hermy wrote:
    ...but he (Chris White) did not say whether there would be enough time for a line-out, nor did anyone ask him if there would be time for said line-out!

Hook asked wheter there was enough time to take a lineout to which Chris white replied " Yes if you take it now" to which he did.....
    Now in rugby if you ask is there enough time to take the penalty and kick for touch it automatically means that the line out will be played....which it was not!

We put the mockers on him. ;)

His wikipedia entry has been taken down, no doubt due to being hammered by disgruntled Welsh fans.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Jilm wrote:
    We put the mockers on him. ;)

His wikipedia entry has been taken down, no doubt due to being hammered by disgruntled Welsh fans.

yep:

20:15, 10 March 2007 Fang Aili (Talk | contribs) deleted "Chris White (referee)" (content was: '{{db|personal attack}}')

feel sorry for him about the ending, he didn't mess that up, he was f**cked over by the timekeeper. Had a shocker it the rest of the game though.

Peter B wrote:
    Think Steve Walsh is terrible. Loves the sound of his own voice. Fair enough he missed a few incidents, like every ref does but he seems to let high tackles and dangerous stamping go. Also there was that incident of the "verbal clash" with Shane Horgan.
    Walsh is still young (34), so I think he'll get over himself in time (the Horgan bust-up would be a sign of immaturity).

His interpretation of various incidents would be acceptable in NZ but might be at odds in this part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Jilm wrote:
    Walsh is still young (34), so I think he'll get over himself in time (the Horgan bust-up would be a sign of immaturity).
    He does seem immature, but this cockyness is not a good reflection of what things might be like to come. If I'm correct he was injured as a player and then turned to reffing. I always get the feeling when he is reffing he is trying to turn the spotlight onto himself as much as possible.

Jilm wrote:
    His interpretation of various incidents would be acceptable in NZ but might be at odds in this part of the world.
    This is very true. NZers think he is an excellent ref. However he seems to ref the way the NZers want which is in direct contradiction to how refs have been told to change their reffing styles to be more vigilant of dangerous play.

• Advertisement

besty wrote:
    Alan Lewis anyone?
    I kinda get the feeling with him that he lacks an understanding of the more subtle elements of the game. The less obvious offences eg. front row stuff, dont seem to register. Dont think he ever played. In fact I think he played cricket for Ireland.

yeah alan lewis was a great cricket player i think he is one of the most capted ireland players but could be wrong. but in terms of being a good ref?, he is grand just lacks experience of the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

Yeah I thought so too, tho only saw the first half.

Advertisement