Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Moulding

Options
  • 09-03-2007 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

I have just acquired a display cabinet (7ft by 3.5ft) with some fancy French style moulding . Some of the moulding at the top of one of the glass doors is missing - a 40cm piece in the shape of an elongated S on its side. I could try a wood turner to replicate the missing piece or to mould it in plaster but is there anywhere one can pick up standard pieces that might suffice? Places like Woodies and Atlantic are useless for things like this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

You could try and see if a picture framer might have a similar moulding that might suit. If the moulding isn't terribly complicated it's very feasible to reproduce small sections using a combination of planes, rasps and scratch stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A woodturner can't make mouldings, I'm afraid. With a few exceptions you can only make things that are symmetrical about a central axis like bowls, staircase spindles, vases etc.

Is it an antique cabinet at all? If so, any competent antiques restorer should be able to reproduce a moulding from an existing piece of that moulding. It usually involves making custom cutters for a spindle moulder. My grandad used to do it all the time. If it's not an antique it might not be worth the trouble or the cost.

You also might want to contact these people .. http://www.woodmouldings.ie they might do one-offs if you asked them very nicely.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

If you can post up the specs / drawings , I might be able to reproduce it in a spindle moulder,

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to get a local cabinet maker to do the business for me.

Advertisement