Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Weather

Options
  • 08-03-2007 11:03pm

What do you love or hate, like or dislike most about Irish weather?

For me I love the summers - a bit short for my liking - I hate the darkness and damp cold of winter the most. Ive been waiting for a decent dry calm few days to do some mountaineering and I tell you Ive been waiting a long time - last August is the last time I got up a mountain on foot :(

Does the Irish winter drive you MAD? 12 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I hate the weather here because it lacks extremes in temperature.
    It never snows.
    It's always cloudy.

But then again we could be living in many many many worse locations..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Yes, the irish winter drizes me mad. Not to say it isn't interesting and enjoyable...at times:D. But it definately drizes me mad. Especially when it comes to snow and the borderline situations:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I will be polite and just say boring weather.No extremes=boring.But some people like it that way.

Could of added more options to the poll:are you use to it
    Do you give a toss
    Does it disrupt your day
    So i could answer Yes and i could answer No:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I just hate the let downs............boys do they hurt :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Ha - I love the Irish weather. If you dont like it - just wait a few hours and it will change. Free air conditioning - if its too hot, just open the window.

Summers have been getting better aswell.

The only thing I hate is that mild drizzely weather...

Also, living here in Roundwood, you get the odd snow day in the winter which is a bonus.

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I just hate the let downs............boys do they hurt :(

But ya cant beat the lead up to the let-downs can you!!:D ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Having come from a more extreme climate (southern Germany) I miss the following:

balmy summer evenings
    cold, clear, bright winter days (snow optional)

what I don't miss:

violent thunderstorms with hailstones that shoot your car to scrap
    winter temperatures of under -10 degrees C
    hot, humid summer days with 30+ degrees and not a breeze
    ozone alarms
    rapid changes ...30 deg one day, 15 the next ...throws you for six
    low lying autumn fog that won't lift for weeks

I think the Irish climate is great ...it's just the weather thats shyte :D

peasant wrote:
    what I don't miss:

violent thunderstorms with hailstones that shoot your car to scrap
    winter temperatures of under -10 degrees C
    :eek: :eek: :eek: You take that back:D ;)

trogdor wrote:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: You take that back:D ;)

Shockin isnt it!!

I was recently in Perth Western Australia and the weather was like clockwork - almost perfect climate - even on days when it hit 40C - it went something like this:

Mornings were low 20s (very low humidity all day) felt nice and cool
    about 11.30am the sun would get VERY hot and from 12 until 3pm you would get the max temperatures.
    Every day around 3pm the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremantle_Doctor effect would kick in I swear like clockwork, every single day totally dependable giving you very warm weather but with a great sea breeze. The air rising from the heat of the massive interior would suck the air from the sea in!

Then 6pm the sun would be cooled off and the breeze gone leaving you a lovely evening!
    I swear God him/herself created that climate for his/her personal use!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I have a love hate relationship with Irish weather.

I love the fact that its constantly changing, sunny every day is just boring.

However I'd rather more snow in winter..

I hate the bugs you get in England and the near continent that you just don't get here.
    Global warming of a degree or so will give us the mosquito which we have mostly avoided due to the coolish Irish summer.

Put it this way, an 80's style Irish climate comes close to my idea of an ideal.

Right now if I could buy land in the Sally Gap area and get permission to build, I'd do it - Cool summers and winters with occasional snow, houses would need serious wind proofing (would plant lots of trees) but it would be nice.

Global warming is going to turn a lot of our upper heath and bog land into viable forest and agricultural land in the near future imho.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

not enough extremes of weather from my perspective. I would like long hot Summers and Winters with significant accumulations of snow.

Took some pics earlier. Here is proof that Ireland can have very varied weather!!:

Winter 2007:

snowfeb8th2007004.jpg

Summer 2007:

garden001.jpg

And you could hve snow there again on Sunday!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

Oh Arctictree, I like your photo from the future.....Summer 2007!!!! How did you manage that, being still only Spring and all that? Looking like a great summer so.

PS: Just light hearted humor there :p

highdef wrote:
    Oh Arctictree, I like your photo from the future.....Summer 2007!!!! How did you manage that, being still only Spring and all that? Looking like a great summer so

Yes - looking forward to the summer!!! (Pic taken at 8am this morning...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

:D I LOVE Ireland's weather because it is so changable...........what is there not to like!:D

Advertisement