Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Molybdenum

Options
  • 08-03-2007 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a database or map that lists

'known areas of high molybdenum' specifically south mayo

would be grateful for any info.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Oldtree wrote:
    I am looking for a database or map that lists

'known areas of high molybdenum' specifically south mayo

would be grateful for any info.

thanks

Perhaps the Soil Database for Ireland may have someting. Try Teagasc Johnstown Castle Env Research Centre in Wexford.
    Also there are soil studies of several counties available, but not sure if they cover mb.
    Maybe the EPA might be woth a try too?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You could use a general rule of thumb that the acid soils tend to be lower in molybdenum than the alkaline soils. Mb is a complicated element though- where there is a higher uptake of Mb in foliage (i.e. on more alkaline soils) it also tends to be where animals experience other deficiencies (most notably copper).

That actual levels of Mb in the soil do not tend to be a determining factor- as the ph level of the soil will always determine what portion of the Mb present is available for reacting and uptake by plant-life. A low Mb level (of less than say 8 or 9 parts per million) will however render a site barren for agricultural production purposes.

Doesn't really help you re: a map of Mayo- other than keep away from peat and reclaimed bogs perhaps. A simple foliar Mb count might be the easiest course of action. It only takes about a half hour in the lab.

Shane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ps- The Fertiliser Association of Ireland might be a useful port of call for you?

http://www.fertilizer-assoc.ie/default.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

many thanks for your replies. have checked out most of the websites but there dosn't appear to be a map of Mo in mayo that is available to the public. So not to be outdone I have sent away a bag of grass to johnstown to do a herbage test and that should sort it out
    ;)

Advertisement