Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peru and Inca trail....

Options
  • 08-03-2007 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello,

Was thinking of heading to Peru for two weeks and spend a week doing the Inca trail and another week seeing some other parts of Peru. Is two weeks enough time or what have peoples experiences been? What other places in Peru are good to go see?

Cheers
    Conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

Did Peru 3 years ago with Explore.co.uk. Superb in the fact that everything was organised, and didn't have to waste time trying to book things. Inca Trail needs to be booked well in advance as only a certain number of passes are given out each season. We went in June/July and the weather was perfect. Lake Titikaka (sp?), Cusco and Inca Trail were highlights. 2 weeks if going on organised tour (cost was about 2keuro - flights, meals, all in). You might need 3 weeks if you are going to organise yourself.
    Let me know if you need more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dj shaft

Cheers Wonka. Must have a look at that website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Peru is great, you can spend as long as you have to spare. The classic Inca trail needs to be booked a month or so in advance, but that's just the actual walk along a specific route that passes some lesser Incan sites. There's no government limits on people who enter the principle site. You can book alternate walking routes on much shorter notice, like 2 days when we were there. I've only done the 5 day Salcantay route, it was spectacular.

We did a 3 day excusion into the jungle near Cuzco, on the brazilian border at Puerto Maldonado, that was great. If you're going to lake titicaca, the bolivian side at Copa Cabana is much more scenic than the Peruvian city, (Puno I think). Did a boat trip out to Isla Del Sol and had a walk.

Did another hike in the canyons near Arequipa, which was great, a flight over the Nazca lines, which was great, the oasis at Huacachina (near Ica) is great, Pisco hasn't much to offer I thought, ditto Lima.

PS We spent 4 weeks in total and basically toured southern Peru.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alexago

Though this thread is old, I'm glad hat I've found it because I'm thinking about choosing Peru as my next travel destination. I always wanted to go there and it would be great to find out tips from people who have already been there.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

We used Peru Treks back in 2008 and we found them very good. You can see what dates are available here https://perutreks.net/classic-inca-trail-4days-3nights/

You need to be in Cusco for a few days beforehand to get used to the altitude. We also went over to La Paz on an overnight bus from Cusco for a few days. Would have loved to have seen more of Peru but we didn't have the time unfortunately

• Advertisement
Advertisement