Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Waterstones- advice for a beginner

Options
  • 08-03-2007 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Up to now I've been using a combination of carborundum (Norton India) oil stones and the "scarey sharp" method (wet and dry paper). I've been happy enough, up to now but having recently invested in some really good planes (LV, Clifton, LN) I think it's about time I started looking at Japanese waterstones- this seems to be the way to go, going by the books I've read. I've been reading David Charlesworth's advice on the subject and I'm hoping to buy some (artificial) waterstones from Axminster next moth. does anybody have any experience or view on the subject? What grits should i be looking at and what is the minimum gear I need for start up? Any and all advice welcome. Also what do people recommend for rough grinding (bench grinder) and what wheels?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

No users of waterstones on this site, I guess. I'm going to go with David Charlesworth on this one and try some King stones from Axminster....

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Hiya Carpainter
    I use scary sharp and I also have a waterstone. I'm fairly sure its a 1200/2000 grit and I keep it soaking in a tupperware box.Add a little bleach to stop the water going slimy.Bought it in Goughs off Capel street about 5 yrs ago and it is still going strong, like any stone it is important to keep it flat.
    Bought a slow speed Kreuzen grinder from Alun the turner and it is the bees knees. I has fairly soft white wheels. Lovely bit of kit.

What sort of LV and LN planes have you got? Which to you think is better Veritas or LN's?
    Cheers.

Advertisement