Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who is the Stig?

Options
  • 07-03-2007 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Well?

Rumours it could be nigel mansell, jenson Button, tiff needel etc etc but is it even anyone famous?

Who knows?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Personally, I reckon he's one of the professional drivers working for the company they hire the track from. There may even have been a couple of Stigs during the tenure.

That or it's Chris Evans.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

That's the Old Stig in the black suit.

The new Stig - I'm leaning towards Nigel Mansell, clue in the episode where Mansell was the star in the reasonably priced car, and drove the same lines as the Stig, and in the same time too. (or thereabouts, I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

So far, jenson button, tiff nedell, jason plato and the current is nigel mansel, the fat gut gives it away.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stig

I think its Jason Plato .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭v10

It's me.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Julian Bailey

julianbaileywb5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

v10 wrote:
    It's me.

Wow, really?
    Thats crazy!

But seroiusly give you reasons as to why you think its the various people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Anti wrote:
    So far, jenson button, tiff nedell, jason plato and the current is nigel mansel, the fat gut gives it away.

Guys it's hardly Needell or Plato - they're the Top Gear rivals

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Bears

i think it needel. but maybe it the ham

god my brain it hurts who is the the stig
    some say ......:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I think the simple answer is that a number of racing drivers are used depending on availabilty and filming schedules. I believe Ben Collins has been the Stig before, if one were to throw another name about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Robbo wrote:
    I think the simple answer is that a number of racing drivers are used depending on availabilty and filming schedules. I believe Ben Collins has been the Stig before, if one were to throw another name about.

Na i dont think so, if you look at him hes always the exact same build. You'd notice if it were someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

Its Ben Collins , he also done F1 testing.

Ben Collins 'outed' as The Stig

Appearing on a New Zealand Motorsport television programme called 'Pit Lane' on January 17th 2007, A1GP team manager and British motorsport personality David Sears was questioned if he knew the identity of the Top Gear test driver known only as "The Stig". Without hesitiation and in a very matter-of-fact manner he replied, "Oh, you want to know who the Stig is... Ben Collins, he's a British sportscar driver, Ben Collins".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Perry McCarthy was the first stig according to Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Why do I keep thinking it's Damon Hill? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Everyone can guess all the want but until we have definate confirmation i still think that it is actually JC, and that he isn't really that tall in really life. They just give him very high shoes to throw us off!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

It's Julian Bailey , he worked with Tiff before and wask asked onto the show after Stig1 left , he lives in Surrey . Its him .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

tvr wrote:
    Its Ben Collins , he also done F1 testing.

Ben Collins 'outed' as The Stig

Appearing on a New Zealand Motorsport television programme called 'Pit Lane' on January 17th 2007, A1GP team manager and British motorsport personality David Sears was questioned if he knew the identity of the Top Gear test driver known only as "The Stig". Without hesitiation and in a very matter-of-fact manner he replied, "Oh, you want to know who the Stig is... Ben Collins, he's a British sportscar driver, Ben Collins".

I'd go with it being Ben Collins too, he has done things for top gear in non-stig form too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I reckon its johnny vegas and that terrible lap where he was braking with his right foot was all just a clever cover-up! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well apparently, in this video, the Stig talks. It's a behind-the-scenes Dutch television interview with some of the TG team.

I wonder is that really the Stig talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Would having different drivers every week not wreck the whole standardised testing of cars idea that the stig was created for?

I reckon he was smelted in the fires of Ferraris Maranello factory from old knackered 250 GT's.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

bigkev49 wrote:
    Would having different drivers every week not wreck the whole standardised testing of cars idea that the stig was created for?

I reckon he was smelted in the fires of Ferraris Maranello factory from old knackered 250 GT's.
    Its hardly standardised, seeing as conditions can vary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Mk 1 Stig was Perry McCarthy.
    Mk 2 Stig is shared between Julian Bailey and Ben Collins.

Don't ask how I know...

sicne when has ben colins had a psuedo american accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Beekay wrote:
    I'd go with it being Ben Collins too, he has done things for top gear in non-stig form too
    We've had that idea for a while now too. I don't think I want to know who he is though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Chronic Rick

Stig.jpg

Admittedly I rushed this to have it up while it was still relevant. sorry if it's a little crappy
    PS. it got cut off a little at the bottom so it should read the baby stig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Zombie thread!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement