Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help!! motherboard keeps freezing on boot up

Options
  • 07-03-2007 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

how do.

hope someone scan help me here. i recently built a new computer and i'm having some problems...

the specs are:

mobo: asrock dual vsta 775
    cpu: pentium d 820
    ram: kingston value ddr pc3200 512 (i have another 512 stick of the same, not in yet)
    gfx: leadtek winfast 6600gt 128mb AGP
    psu: 400w

so the thing is, when i first put it together i had a radeon 9800 pro 256mb card in and when i swtched it on the screen was all garbled. it looked like the load screen from a commodore 64. so i tookout the card and replaced it with the 6600gt. the screen is no longer garbled.

i then proceeded to install windows xp. the thing is, each time i restart the computer it freezes at the boot screen. ie, the black screen right after it does the ram check and where it says "press f2 for bios, f11 for whatever etc etc".

if i turn off the computer and leave it for a few seconds, then turn it on again sometimes it boots up normally, but sometimes it just freezes again. each tim eit freezes the lights on the keyboard go out, but they stay on when it boots properly.

i haven't updated the bios yet.

any help wit this would really be appreciated.

cheers,
    karl.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Is that ram compatable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

it appears to be. every forum i've checked has said that it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

This is the board that supports both agp and pcie, right and there is just 2 ram slots

Edit no there is 4 ram slots but have you your ddr in the ddr2 slots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Is it the 775Dual-VSTA or the 4CoreDual-VSTA ?

Either way update your bios is the first task as it should fix any compatibility issues which is important for hybrid boards like those. After the bios update clear the CMOS as well & then re-setup the bios for any changes you may have made, set RAM speed to auto etc.

There should not be any problem with using both DIMM's in the board.

@plonk. haha. of course i don't have the ddr ram in the ddrII slot. but yeah, thats the mobo. 2 drr slots and 2 ddrII.

@8t8. yeah, its the 775dual-vsta, not the 4coredual one. i'm gonna update bios now and clear the cmos etc. i'll let you know how it is then. i dunno. just feels like its something more...

cheers,
    karl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,029 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This thread scares me: I was just planning on buying one of those boards...

have you not tried the 2 RAM cards together then?

no its not the board. it's me being an idiot. finally got it working. updated bios and cleared cmos and its runnin real nice like. it seems like a really good board. all the reviews say so, but of course i haven't had that much time to try it out!!

cheers for the help all,
    karl. (overjoyed!!!)

Advertisement