Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't a clue about credit cards... help?

Options
  • 07-03-2007 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Perhaps ye can help me. I'm going away in the summer and will need to book some hostels in advance, online (hostelworld.com). I would have liked to get a laser card, but they're only compatible with some hostels on the site, so it looks like I'll have to get a credit card.

I have a current account with AIB... I'm pretty sure it's a student account, but I'm not currently a student (will be in September though), so I presumably can't get a student credit card (assuming such a thing exists).

I just want the card for the time being to book stuff online, and then I won't use it again for a good while; and the transactions will be small but frequent (eg. €10 deposit on a room, every 3 days for a month)

I'm applying on the AIB website and just want to be sure I'm not getting myself into any crazy debt by getting one of these. I've read the terms and conditions and am still none the wiser as to how much I'll be paying the bank per transaction for example.

I'll be paying the CC bill online after the month, and then I'll either cancel it or put it away. But do I still have to pay the €40 gvmt levy (or any other fees) if I'm not using the card? Can I put it on standby or somethin? lol

Also -- it doesn't make a difference if I choose Mastercard of Visa, does it? I gather they're just brand names.

Cheers people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Providing you pay your bill in full at the end of each month you won't be getting into any debt. :)

There are student credit cards, the only real difference is that the credit limit is quite low although by the sounds of things you won't be spending lots on it anyway.

I can't remember whether students have to pay the €40 levy but I do know that if you do have to pay it, it doesn't matter whether you use your card every day or never, simply owning the card means you have to pay the fee. As I said, can't remember if students have to pay it or not.

I've had both MasterCard and Visa, never had a problem anywhere. Some people say Mastercard is accepted in more countries but unless you are going somewhere exotic it's not a big deal.

As for credit card fees. Some cinemas/restaurants/airlines/hotels/etc. will charge you a 'handling fee', usually a couple of euro. The bank won't charge you anything except the fee for paying your bill by direct debit...again if you have a student account you will be exempt from this.

I have to reiterate that if you pay your bill in full at the end of each month then you will be fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You'll have to pay the government levy regardless afaik, the bank just pick it up for the government is all. Mastercard and Visa are always listed together where they are accepted so its rare to see one without the other. Watch your limit, pay it off on time and you'll be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Grand so.

I intend to pay it in full at the end of the month, but I could see myself missing payments if I kept the card after my holiday because I wouldn't be using it! So I'm gonna cancel it probably. Does that present any problems, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm not aware of any problems with cancelling your card. They'll ask you why you want to cancel but that's about it...unless anyone else has any different experiences.

To be honest, you'll probably find it hard to let go of your card as they do come in really handy...once you pay your bill in full each time (he repeats ad nauseum) :D

You're scaring me now, stop it! :D I'm very reliable, I'll pay on time........ ¬_¬

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Pay your bill in full in each month - no hidden charges. Have a look for the thread about the free Gold membership for hostelworld.com aswell so you don;t have to pay hostel worlds booking fees!

The only charges you'll have then are:
    - 40 euro government stamp duty each year
    - cash advance fees (i.e. if you take money out of the ATM using your credit card)

I ordered the credit card online yesterday, and ordered a laser card today :) Yay :)

Cheers folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Setup a Direct Debit that pays off 100% of the balance every month. You wont have to worry about missing a payment then.

Advertisement