Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops & Extended Warranties...

Options
  • 07-03-2007 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭

A few months ago I bought a laptop from PC World in Cork. I was happy with the spec and price. As I was talking to the sales guy he started the sales pitch on the 3 year extended warranty. He was trying to talk to me like he knew me and was a friend of something...his story went something like this:

"...so Mr X if you take out the 3 year extended warranty you will be covered for accidental breakages and drops. So let's say Mr X, that a couple of years later and you would like to get a faster laptop and you 'accidentally' drop it down the stairs and smash it. You can simply bring it in to us here and if it can't be repaired we will give U a new one..so hey, a new laptop just for the price of the extended warranty!"

Now I politely declined the offer to take out the warranty and went to pay for the laptop where they then brought me to another area to sit down while he did some stuff on the computer and what do ya know, he tried the warranty pitch again, this time he offered to throw in a 4th year for free! He proceeded to say that he is doing this because I cares for me and my laptop and not just for sales purposes (he must have thought I looked like a right tool).

Again I declined and paid for my item and left.

Thinking back I was amazed to see how they try to trick U into buying the extended warranty by saying things like you can break it yourself and sure they will give U a brand new laptop! Total bo**ox!

I know they work off commission but they were just way too pushy!
    I wouldn't mind but the laptop cost me 1000 euro and the extended warranty was going to cost 350 euro...over a third of the overall cost of the laptop!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PC World will be gone from the UK soon. They are converting most of the shops to Dixons/Curries

And very hard sell warranties are against the law in the UK for about a year now.

That 'accidental' drop it to get a faster laptop, wink wink, I've heard that line before, if someone recorded them would they have to cover it ?? In fact I've heard that line so often I'm begining to think it's scripted !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Had a similar experience when buying a desktop for my parents. The machine itself was a little over €300, and buying a monitor aswell brought it to about €600. The guy then proceded to try to sell the extended warranty that would have cost between €200 and €300. He didn't understand why we wouldn't want it, or how we could possibly think that the computer mightn't have that long of a lifespan anyway - we buy a relatively cheap desktop every 2 or so years, then replace it with a new cheap one 2 years later.

They're overly pushy, but I guess that's what they need to do to make a decent commission. Just glad I'm not selling in a position like that.

Oh and I always like showing them that I know more about computers than they do, they get very defensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yeah, I also found that they get defensive when U correct them about something 'computer' related. I actually feel sorry for the staff there...once again the management of these large firms are flogging their staff forcing them to push the hard sell on warranties for a decent commission..OK, the sales guy was a bit of a tosser but I would still want to see him do well and make some money but with the likes of PC World I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I work for Dixons which is part of the same company that controls PcWorld

If only people knew

Every month, you are called in front of the manager, and he discussed your numbers. If you do not sell enough extended warranties or sell enough products on finance

You won't have your job much longer

It's the sad reality, but that's business.

So it's not just about commission. The guy's job could be on the line

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

An extended warranty wont cover you if you drop the machine - the warranty is from the manufacturer. He was trying to sell you insurance cover.

Paddyo

• Advertisement

sorry, coverplan

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

swingking wrote:
    The guy's job could be on the line
    If they were technical they could get a job in a call centre.

If they're non technical, do they deserve it ?

And besides they will probably close them sooner or later
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3665661.stm Wednesday, 28 April, 2004,
    Dixons is to close a third of its High Street stores over the next three months following disappointing sales.

The firm added it was also hunting for a better format, possibly moving to bigger and cheaper out-of-town sites.

About 1,000 staff will be hit by the 106 shop closures, which will cost £48m, but Dixons hopes a "significant number" would be moved to other stores.

The firm, which also owns Currys, PC World and The Link, added it was on target to hit profit forecasts.

http://www.techcentral.ie/consumer_tech/Street_versus_online/ April 21 2006
    The computer retail industry got a relative shock to the system last month. The DSG Group - owner of the Dixons, PC World and Currys chain of electronics stores - announced that it was closing its Dixons chain of high street stores in the UK and moving the brand and the operation online. Currys Digital take overs as the group’s high street brand for consumers. Web shoppers are now serviced online by Dixons. So far, its decision does no affect DSG’s business in Ireland where it maintains a high street store strategy.

If they were technical they could get a job in a call centre.

If they're non technical, do they deserve it ?

What do mean by technical? No ones job should be on the line because of thick customers. if you don't want coverplan, I'm not going to push someone. Some sales assisstants don't know where to draw the line, and can be agressive. Not me though.

I have had several people who have tried to proove they have more knowledge than me when it comes to computers. Sadly, I knew everything they were saying, even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

swingking wrote:
    What do mean by technical? No ones job should be on the line because of thick customers.

He's not talking about customers, he is talking about staff.

What he is saying, and correct me if I am wrong, is that staff who are technical could essentially do a lot better for themselves working in a more technical environment.

suppose that's a good point

But there is nothing worse than going into a computer shop, explaining to the assisstant what you want, and he hasn't a clue as to what you are saying.

"yah, bud, the compu'er plays games and stuff"

Very unprofessional

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

swingking wrote:
    suppose that's a good point

But there is nothing worse than going into a computer shop, explaining to the assisstant what you want, and he hasn't a clue as to what you are saying.

"yah, bud, the compu'er plays games and stuff"

Very unprofessional

If they thought it would increase sales they would have better trained staff. They obviously think it doesn't, and a shop is there to make money not provide free IT advice.

They do provide training

Most of the staff I work with are part-time and don't have time to attend training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I think for laptops especially, and to some extent MP3 players, warranties are a bargain.

That is, provided they are good warranties, onsite service, next day support, etc. The reason is, it means you can just get on with what you do. Fixing something yourself can be a big pain.

AFAIK Dixons warranties can be annoying to actually make use of.

For Dell PCs however, their NBD support really is good, and curiously, the biggest reason why I'd buy Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I've had the experience of the coverplan being tried to be pushed upon me. I think it would have cost e300, and he was so aggressive about it. It really put me off ever going there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I got the coverplan - for the simple reason that I've had several laptops broken on me in the past through unfortunate accidents, usually and typically the screen - so I have it in writing from them that the screen is definately covered. Some people say it's idiotic to take out such a policy, eh, I'm not too bothered if it guarantees me a laptop for the next few years rather then having to fork out for a new one as a result of out of warranty damage.

Advertisement