Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyber crime stats for Ireland?

Options
  • 06-03-2007 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Hey

I am looking for Cyber Crime statistics in the Garda annual reports but can not find any information about this.
    Do you guys know any other source of statistics regarding network break in/hacking/company information theft ... in Ireland ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

Have a look at the following which may be a good start:
    http://www.ucd.ie/news/feb07/020107_cybercrime.html
    and
    http://www.issaireland.org/cybercrime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

sh_o wrote:
    Have a look at the following which may be a good start:
    http://www.ucd.ie/news/feb07/020107_cybercrime.html
    and
    http://www.issaireland.org/cybercrime

That is definitely a good start, thank you very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭H3LLg0d

Thanks for the links mate
    I'm Also interested in this:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Thanks for the links mate
    I'm Also interested in this

you might be also interested to know that there are about 2 dozen people on this (sorry, regular visitors to security forum)board who never say anything, and work in government jobs.
    some of them work in the guards, wouldn't surprise me if the person who asked the question works for them.:D

while i wait to be corrected, i've noticed atleast another dozen old-skool "hackers" who never say much either.
    won't mention any names, but i've plenty of logs if you want them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭H3LLg0d

make note: Tor into boards next visit:)

I'm more interested in seeing , stats for anyone caught or apprehended for cybercrime in Ireland <for what, and how they where caught>

Somehow the idea of a guard ,who cant find the any+key even ,and no clue of what's going on doesn't seem plausible:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Mick.fr,

A magazine Knowledge Ireland (ISSUE 23 march/april) just came to my desk inside they have an article on Cyber Crime 10 pages or so.

I havent read it due to time constaints this morning but if your near any newsagents im sure you could pop in any have a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

mick.fr wrote:
    Do you guys know any other source of statistics regarding network break in/hacking/company information theft ... in Ireland ?
    No sensible company is going to give out that information, and with the new Garda reporting requirements (you have to go to your local station) most incidents will not be reported to the Guards. The Guards are actually pretty good at handling computer crime, but are underresourced at the moment (as a country we seem to prefer giving our money to property developers).

That ISSA cybercrime survey is probably the best source, but as the surveyed group were mostly security professionals it would have an inbuilt bias towards sensationalism.

There have been no convictions for computer intrusion in Ireland. Which doesn't mean it doesn't happen of course.

some of them work in the guards, wouldn't surprise me if the person who asked the question works for them.:D

I use to work for them, but not anymore :-). That was great fun. I have meet some really nice people.
    I left the Guards last October 2006.
    I worked for them on different IT projects (NT Migration, security, backup...).

I was curious to see if there was any relevant stats in Ireland for the following reasons :

1. Usually we refer to US stats, which are not relevant to Ireland, but after some personnal studies, are really similar (50% of attacks occurs from employees).
    2. Need to convince customers the need to increase their security (Internal and External) so I needed to have some base to help me to convince them to buy spme good products.

I have presented these stats in conjunction with my products to some of the major Irish IT directors and none of them were aware about those stats, but they all were surprised, felt very concerned and interrested.

Thanks again guys

Mick.fr,
    A magazine Knowledge Ireland (ISSUE 23 march/april) just came to my desk inside they have an article on Cyber Crime 10 pages or so.

Cool thanks

Advertisement