Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Training

Options
  • 06-03-2007 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Do you guys watch much of the Spring Training games? I see NASN are showing a couple. As excited as I am about the season itself starting up, I don't get much out of these games...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

double post. Sorry

It bores the life out of me....have tried to watch them before but they're so meaningless!...Worse than an international friendly...though they do make me look forward to the real thing even more!
    I'd say I average around 2 hours a day lookin at baseball related stuff during the season....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭PappaCSkillz22

Spring Training is fascinating - personally I love watching the future prospects play and also watching the position battles between young, flash new players and the grizzled vets

..each to his/her own I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

Nah! They don't mean anything. But I watch every regular season game that the Red Sox play. Well, except for the ones on teh West Coast. they're just on too damn late :p

I think if I lived over there again my mrs. would've long since packed her bags, but because the games are usually on at 1am here she only has to put up with the weekend ones. How do folks in America stay together when there's 3 hours of baseball to be watched (at least) at prime time every day for 6 months?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

zuutroy wrote:
    I think if I lived over there again my mrs. would've long since packed her bags, but because the games are usually on at 1am here she only has to put up with the weekend ones. How do folks in America stay together when there's 3 hours of baseball to be watched (at least) at prime time every day for 6 months?!
    I usually flip back and forth between the game and other shows. Some of the weekend games are during the day, 1pm or 4pm, so that's not as bad. I love laying on the couch on a Sunday afternoon watching a game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Conor_8

Spring Training is fascinating - personally I love watching the future prospects play and also watching the position battles between young, flash new players and the grizzled vets

..each to his/her own I guess

I can see your point... But its not like the Red Sox have many big position battles going on. There is the bullpen and closer especially but they seem to be saying that that won't be decided in Match but in April/May.

Conor_8 wrote:
    I can see your point... But its not like the Red Sox have many big position battles going on. There is the bullpen and closer especially but they seem to be saying that that won't be decided in Match but in April/May.

To the untrained eye maybe!

The bullpen battle is fascinating in an odd way, right now it's basically a free for all to grab the setup and closer roles and as we speak it's whoever sucks the least that's in line for both jobs

There's Wily Mo battling for playing time, Jacob Ellesbury, David Murphy also trying to stick as the 4th and 5th outfielders.

There's a huge situation brewing in the starting rotation too, if Lester keeps pitching as well as he has it might actually force the Sox to put Papelbon back closing and throw JL into the starting rotation instead..

..there's loads going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Conor_8

Surely Wily Mo and Hinske are the 4th and 5th outfielders and Ellsbury and Murphy won't get a look in bar an injury crisis or September call-ups?

Always liked Jon Lester, good to hear he is on the way back. Papelbon is doing pretty good himself though, isn't he? I would assume he would be already slotted in the pen if his health was up to it.

Conor_8 wrote:
    Surely Wily Mo and Hinske are the 4th and 5th outfielders and Ellsbury and Murphy won't get a look in bar an injury crisis or September call-ups?

Always liked Jon Lester, good to hear he is on the way back. Papelbon is doing pretty good himself though, isn't he? I would assume he would be already slotted in the pen if his health was up to it.

Everyone has been blown away by Ellesbury's speed and overall talent, admittedly it's a bit of a long shot but several coaches have said they would love to see him break with the big club. Having said that, Hinske is doing everything he can to stick, so that's a battle in itself.

Wily Mo might still be traid bait sadly, I could see him and one other young gun going to Washington for Cordero just before they all break camp. I love big Wily Mo but the Sox front office is split on him, 50/50 I believe, so if Cordero or another stud closer was dangled they might take the bait.

So, that would mean Ellesbury or even Murphy (who has a tonne of big league potential) could end up with the big club.

Papelbon is doing fantastic, he looks strong (no more shoulder problems hopefully) and composed as a starter. Everyone forgets he came out flying as a rookie, racking up wins before they decided to make him a closer. Eric Wilbur in the Globe proposed he might even win 20 games this year as a starter.

Lester is a fantastic story and the best part maybe is how well he holds himself, not an ounce of ego about the lad. I hope he makes the team and has a great season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement