Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is 380W enough?

Options
  • 06-03-2007 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Hi
    currently speccing a new PC which will have

Core 2 DUo e6300 (hopefully overclocked)
    2 SATA hard drives (maybe 3)
    sound card, tv card
    DVD writer
    + whatever DirectX 10 Card ATI bring out for about 300 euro (followup to the X1950?)

will the Antec EarthWatts 380W PSU suffice, or should I go for a 430W or 500W model?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

silverside wrote:
    Hi
    currently speccing a new PC which will have

Core 2 DUo e6300 (hopefully overclocked)
    2 SATA hard drives (maybe 3)
    sound card, tv card
    DVD writer
    + whatever DirectX 10 Card ATI bring out for about 300 euro (followup to the X1950?)

will the Antec EarthWatts 380W PSU suffice, or should I go for a 430W or 500W model?

You would all that running on a 380W, if you were using a low power gfx card, but you would have next to no room for expansion, i.e. get a better gfx card you would need to get a better PSU.

If you intend on upgrading the PC over time get a good quality brand 500W such as a seasonic.
    Especially if you will be putting in a good gfx card.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=323014

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea im getting a 600 watt PSU in mine and mines kinda similar setup.. I want to go higher but cash is the problem :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

There's a good PSU calculator linked in the useful websites sticky on the comp forum (bottom of the post).

Edit: If you're getting the 6300 for overclocking, you should consider the E4300, as it has a higher multiplier (and as such will get higher speeds with crappier motherboards).

Advertisement