Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TSB ATM in America

Options
  • 05-03-2007 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Heading to the states for two weeks this weekend. Anyone know for sure if the TSB ATM will work in cash machines in the US?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Was just about to post a similar topic.

I know from last year in Bulgaria that the normal TSB card doesn't work as it doesn't have cirrus or link or plus on it - as comes standard with aib cards for instance.

My brother is heading over to Cape Town on Friday and only has a normal tsb card. He applied for a laser card but was rejected because he wasn't with the bank long enough..

I don't understand how tsb think you'll be able to take out money?? That is unless you take it all out before you go like. He'll get paid from work while over there, and obviously won't be able to withdraw it. WTF is he gonna do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Heading to the states for two weeks this weekend. Anyone know for sure if the TSB ATM will work in cash machines in the US?

If you look at the back of the card and it has the Cirrus Symbol or the Plus Symbol on it they should work. Best thing to do ring your bank if still unsure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Some cards are Cirrus enabled without the logo showing on the back but best call to be sure as suggested. Remember the charges involved for withdrawing cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I think I'll be taking me AIB card instead, as I know for a fact that it works over there. Silly silly TSB!

Thanks chaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

i could use mine in latvia but they charge an extortinate 3.5% of the transaction value as a fee, on top of using the 'we sell' exchange rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Tsb cards can use any Cirrus ATM. They don't need the cirrus symbol on the card. Its charged at 3.5% of the euro value of the transaction with a minimum of €3.17 and a maximum of €11.45. So its better to withdraw in big lumps. Mastercard also set the rates if you want to check them.

Better to put your visa in credit and withdraw off that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

yeah i had this problem as well, they wouldn't give me a laser card cause i wasn't in full time employment. I was told that all of their ATM's work abroad as of December 2006, i opened a student account in Bank Of Ireland and applied for a Laser card there but only got a normal ATM card when i went to get it. Also, i haven't rceived any form of paper work from BOI, like account number, a welcome to the bank or any of that. Not very quick dealing with new customers (maybe it's cause i'm a student!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MidLoud

amull87 wrote:
    yeah i had this problem as well, they wouldn't give me a laser card cause i wasn't in full time employment. I was told that all of their ATM's work abroad as of December 2006, i opened a student account in Bank Of Ireland and applied for a Laser card there but only got a normal ATM card when i went to get it. Also, i haven't rceived any form of paper work from BOI, like account number, a welcome to the bank or any of that. Not very quick dealing with new customers (maybe it's cause i'm a student!).

AIB issue a Laser/Maestro with ATM function as standard on their student accounts. Theirs is also the only one at the mo that you do not need to apply for, i.e. no credit application and you can use it anywhere you see the Maestro (Mastercard brand) symbol worldwide...

Advertisement